Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong script for fonts problem

• Please log in to reply

Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nope. I don't have any language packs installed. So are we at a dead end or is there something else I can try? Seems like there should be some sort of solution.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let me see if I can get some help on this. There has to be a reasonable solution that does not require a reinstall of XP.

Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, Rich, I hate to disappoint you but, I went ahead and reinstalled Windows this morning. My main problem had been with the fonts, especially when I tried to fill in some PDF forms and they all printed out in gibberish, I figured I'd had enough. I was also experiencing some other problems. Explorer would hang when I started up and would have to restart 3 or 4 times before I'd get IN. Or I'd have to Switch User and Log back in to get it to work. All in all I think I was a victim of OS Decay--after a couple years of installing and uninstalling apps and stuff, my system was just too cluttered with glitches and bugs. So now I have a nice new clean slate to build upon.

The font problem? All resolved! So now I have the fun task of getting all set up again. Already found one glitch, I copied my Outlook.pst file so that I could use it for my new installation. Problem? Contacts show up in the Contacts tab but not in the Address book. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Thanks again for your help!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry we couldn't fix it. Definitely an interesting problem.

Glad you got it resolved, even though you have to reinstall everything.

Might be a good time to look into setting up a good backup strategy if you don't already have one. Then you can backup at sevceral key points along the recovery process so the next time will be easier :)