Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Storing laptop...

• Please log in to reply

joseneto

joseneto

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there!

Best way to store a laptop. Battery empty or fully charged?

Tks in advance!

José Neto-Portugal

Advertisements

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
How long are you storing it for?

I guess it wouldnt matter but, if it is for a really long time I just drain it dead. Though trying to get it to work like it does before store might a little harder. It could having problems holding its juice till it needs a charge again, or even holding a charge at all. I have seen a older Compaq sit for a year and be fine, but the battery will loss its abilty to hold and charge if not ever plugged in after a certain amount of time.

Edited by fr33zypop, 27 February 2008 - 07:10 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're planning on actually shelving the laptop (like keeping it in a closet) for long periods of time...i'd actually take the battery out (if you've got an internal battery i'd take that one out as well) this will help to prevent the "charge memory" loss that fr33zypop was talking about since the laptop won't be causing a constant trickle on the battery (yes even when your laptop is off....it's drawing some electricity out of the battery)

joseneto

joseneto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks you guys, most helpful indeed!

Keep up the good work!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Also it depends on the battery. If it is a NIMH battery I'm not sure that it matters.... however if it is a Lithium-ion battery you should charge it to about 40% before storing or maybe more if you are leaving it a long time. Lithium-ions should not be allowed to run all the way dead as if they get too low they won't charge properly... With them temperature is what makes the biggest difference with them... You could also try looking up your type of battery on google.... or even find a site that specializes in batteries and see if they can give you specifics... that's how I found out about Lithium-ion batteries I wanted to know instead of telling people what I had heard second hand.....