Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple programs opens and unable to start in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Briannola

Briannola

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I toght my problem was caused by malware but it appears it is not.

I was diercted to post this in this forum by a staff member "Rorschach112.

"Yeah this is definitely not malware related. You will need to make a topic in the Windows XP forum, tell them I sent you over"

Can anyone help? Here is my problem:

have a problem where my mouse will launch programs multiple times without me clicking on the icons (10 to 30 or more of the applications open and start giving errors). I have figured out a way to prevent the multiple programs from opening temporarily. If I press the windows key and open the first program using the keyboard, I can then use the mouse to open other programs. If I don't do that first, what ever icon I pass the mouse pointer over, suddenly starts to launch multiple times until the computer can't open any more. I wanted to start my computer in safe mode to troubleshoot but the computer does not show the screen to press F8 anymore. Windows will start normally but when I press F8 when I think it should bring me to the safe mode screen, I get "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key." I can get to safe mode by going to msconfig but not the normal way at startup. The problem exits in safe mode also.

I thought I might have a virus/malware problem but I have run Symantec AV and AVG and come up with no virus. I have also run Ad-aware, Spyware blaster, AVG AS, super-Anti Spyware and online Active Panda scan and have only come up with minor cookie spyware that I have deleted. All are updated. Now everything comes up clear but I have the same problems. A strange thing is that when I start the computer, the screen flickers but does not show the screen that allows me to go to safe mode. I wanted to try and repair WinXP (SP2) with the system disk. I set the bios to boot from the CDROM drive, but when I start the computer, it flickers but will not boot up - and gives the error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key." I used the original WinXP disk and I know it is a good disk but it will not boot from the CDROM.

So, in addition to the multiple programs opening when I pass the mouse pointer over an icon, the computer will not allow me to start in safe mode or boot from the Windows XP CD. Not because the CDROM or disk is damaged. They both work fine when windows is already loaded. When I boot in normal mode, I can autorun disk with the CDROM so the CDROM works.

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file.

Attached Files

Advertisements

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I seen something like this on a touchpad on my fiances laptop once, it was some setting in the mouse controls in the control panel. If you havnt looked there i would try that. Also if you can just uninstall the mouse program and and reinstall it.

As far as not booting into safe mode might be a damaged boot file. Try defaulting all the BIOS settings for the reason its not booting from CD.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you give us some details about the computer? I have seen a similar case where the problem was with the keyboard. It was a desktop and at first I was sure the problem was with the mouse. it turned out to be the keyboard but it could be the mouse, just the same, as mentioned by fr33zypop .

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Not sure how to post that my problem is resolved, but it is.
I had already tested the mouse by swapping it out and uninstalled the driver. When I restarted, the problem was still there, so I knew that was not it. To be honest, when "The Skeptic" said he had seen this problem and the cause was in a keyboard, I thought "how could it be the keyboard when it goes berserk when I use the mouse?" Anyway, I replaced the keyboard with a new one and all of the problems were corrected. I don't quite understand how the keyboard could cause the problems but they are now all corrected.

Thanks to all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. In my case I took that same route which you took, which obviously related the problem to the mouse, and replaced It. To add to the confusion, the problem seemed to be solved for 2-3 days, and then all started again. By now I suspected that some piece of hardware sends uncontrolled instructions and I suspected that it's either the keyboard or some element on the motherboard. Replacing the the keyboard solved the problem.