Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New System

• Please log in to reply

Jimmyman40

Jimmyman40

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey my name is Jim and Kat sent me here to ask the question. i wanna build a fast pc and my budget is 2,600 . i do want quad core and least 4 gigs of memory. i will be doing a lot with dreamweaver, photoshop, illistrator, and a variety of other programs. can someone please help in picking the hardware to buy and i wanna run windows xp pro 64 bit if needed.

thanks for any help i can get on this

Jim

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Just a reminder with installing Windows XP 64-Bit, drivers for that particular operating can be hard to come by, so I wouldn't suggest WinXP 64Bit unless you can stand the drudgery of finding drivers to support your OS, or risk not being able to find drivers at all for your hardware. Also, with a budget like that, you can make a very fast computer, maybe a Core2 Extreme in that baby? If you play your cards right, you can almost buy the top of the line hardware components like the Core2 Extreme or the GeForce 8800GT. It's all about taking the time to compare prices from different vendors. As you probably know, TigerDirect and Newegg are probably where I would start, or you could always do an Ebay search :).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jimmyman40...

Here's a 64bit, 4gig dual channel, quad core build to look at. I think you would be better served with a 32bit system running 2gb of good RAM, though...and can suggest a system for that as well, if you wish. I put this one together in kind of a rush this morning, so have not checked for known driver issues with 64bit operating system use...nor have I checked for issues with the software you plan to use. I would have preferred to use Corsair RAM, but the budget just wouldn't allow the Dominator series modules I like.

Please consider these components as suggestions only until I've had a chance to do a little more research.

Asus Maximus Extreme Motherboard - $400

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor - $580

OCZ ReaperX Dual Channel 4096MB PC10666 DDR3 - $540

Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply - $145

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card - $360

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP -$80

Acer AL2216WBD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor -$200.

Logitech MX5000 Cordless Keyboard and Rechargeable Laser Mouse Bluetooth Desktop - $60.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit DSP OEM - $190

Total $2555. (includes rebated prices)

wannabe1