Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Ofiice 2000 applications hang

• Please log in to reply

montmurf

montmurf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I run both "spybot" and "spysubtract" and my Office 2000 applications all hang now when I open or close them. For example, opening a Word 2000 doc. takes 3 or 4 minutes. What's up?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Is this only after you installed both "spybot" and "spysubtract ?

montmurf

montmurf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually it's been happening for over 1 year. I installed Spybot and Spysubtract 6 months ago as a fix to this problem. Up until this week, running the 2 Spy's one after the other would always show several adware spy's found and deleted etc...
And this in itself would restore my Office applications to normal working order. But now, the 2 Spy's no longer fix the "hangs" and possibly aggrivate the situation.

Also, the Office hangs seem to coincide with a memory leak. After closing programs, previously used resources are not restored. For example.... If I have 2 or 3 applications running (I.E., Address Book, Word etc...) and resouces are down to 50% or 60%. After closing everything, resource usage remains low, stays around 50% or 60% etc...The 2 problems seem synonymous with one another.

Thanks for heping.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I think you may have to to do a hijack this log

montmurf

montmurf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you mind explaining how to do it. I'm not familiar with this one?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Always a good idea to visit the malware forum (see link in my signature), and follow the instructions at the top.

I don't think they are related issues though.

First, have you run a repair of office 2000? Insert your cd and follow the prompts.

Second? Have you downloaded the appropritate office updates?

montmurf

montmurf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Will try these things and get back to you thanks....
Terry