Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rebuilding system - can't install OS

• Please log in to reply

ohhbob

ohhbob

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I had an old P2 system running W2K my kids used. It started acting up with all sorts of
blue-screen errors every time it booted up & finally wouldn't boot up at all. First I
thought it was drive failure so I replaced that. Still happened. Then I thought it must
be the motherboard, so I found a socket370 board & P3 processor. When I try to install the OS
it never gets past the "Press any key to boot from CD". It just stalls at the "examining system configuration"
line. Then I thought the power supply might be the root cause of all these problems & replaced that. Still
hangs. Bios recognizes all drives & I double checked all connections & jumper settings. I'm stuck. Any ideas??

Thanks...

Ohhbob

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What OS are you trying to install and from what media ( e.g.- Dell Recovery Disk, Windows 98 Install Disc etc.)?

ohhbob

ohhbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I thought I'd install the OS I had on the old machine - W2K - and maybe upgrade later. So it's the OEM install CD. This is basically a fresh computer build as the hard drives had been reformatted...

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ahh the old P3s I had a pain with those, yet I still run one as my server, lol. It's really a matter of just playing with it till it works, it was almost impossible for me to figure out half of mine's problems. Are you sure your OS CD is fine with no corrupted files? Have you tried using other components as a pose to the current ones, (i.e Hard drive, memory, etc..)?

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 01 March 2008 - 11:29 PM.

ohhbob

ohhbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I think I've got this one licked...After browsing the boards it occured to me the drive I was using was FAT32. I pulled it and formatted NTFS in another machine & got the OS to install.

Thanks for your input,
Happy day...
:)