Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My parts came in, need a clue!

• Please log in to reply

mfarre03

mfarre03

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
So just like on Christmas morning, SantaUps brought me some parts today.

Mobo
CPU
Video Card
RAM
HD
CPU Cooler
Silver Compound

Case and PSU

I have built computers before but nothing with SATA drives. I have a Sata HD and a Sata DVD burner. Can I just hook everything up, install windows XP reboot and install my mobo drivers?

I need a little guidance.

Do I have to partition the HD? I have a Gigabyte MOBo and it mentions partitioning 10gb of space for Xpress Recovery2.

HELP!! I hope someone responds or leads me in the right direction. This board has been awesome!!

Thanks so much for all the previous help.

Edited by mfarre03, 29 February 2008 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SATA drives are easy. They can only plug in one way and in a handful of slots. If the power supply has a SATA power adaptor, use that, otherwise an adaptor usually comes with the board but ask nicely and any small computer shop will probably give you one for nothing.

So yes, plug them in, install Windows in the same way as IDE drives.

You don't have to partition the drive if you don't want to. Xpress Recovery 2 is entirely optional, plus it doesn't work on SATA drives anyway :)

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Nice, do I have to format the drive or is it all set from the factory? I feel dumb< LOL

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Nice, do I have to format the drive or is it all set from the factory? I feel dumb< LOL

The HDD you bought should be clean already. You should be able to just install right away.

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Very cool, hopefully I can get it done tonight.

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Computer is together!!! Now I'm waiting for the gf to get back with cable ties!! ugggggggggggg, don't want to start it without tieing everything down...