Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen - hardware malfunction

• Please log in to reply

drewblueeye

drewblueeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK, help!!!! so i took my computer to a repair store locally. they looked at the computer for 2 days. cleaned up over 300 errors on windows registry and found a virus. they told me that it was fixed. brought it home, hooked it up. got on World of Warcraft and within 5 seconds got the blue screen... same error. so i called them, they gave me an option of bringing it back or getting my money back..... so i went down got my money back... came home freaked out and formatted my computer. reisntalled windows (kind of). after it was done loading windows it never asked for my microsoft key nor did it install microsoft office. so i stuck the CD back in. loaded it back up, hit install and then asked for my key to verify registry.... put in the key and once i did that the computer starting installing everything. it then said "windows must restart" so it restarted. when it restarted it asked if i wanted to boot from windows xp home or windows xp setup. if i click home it takes me into windows. and works fine, but doesnt install office. if i redo everything and click windows xp setup it takes me to a blue screen that says:

________________________________________________________________________________

Setup cannot find a CD-ROM drive

Make sure your CD-Rom drive is on and properly conneted to your computer. if it is a SCSI CD-ROM drive, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. See your computer or scsi adapter documentation for more information.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, pressF3.
________________________________________________________________________________

Ok F3 is my only option. when i hit F3 it restarts my computer and brings me back to the 2 options Windows XP Home or windows XP setup. Now my CD-ROM drive works fine. i installed WoW on it after the format. i do also have a DVD-ROM and that works fine also. i am just trying to finsih installing all of XP so that i can get Office on my computer and so that i dont have to choose one of those options. because i have 5 seconds to click Windows XP home otherwise it goes into the setup, with that error.

This is what i have done.
I have gone into BIOS and set the CD/DVD-Rom to boot first.

any ideas

Advertisements