Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't post...HELP!

• Please log in to reply

mfarre03

mfarre03

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I doublechecked everything...I get a long beep into what I think is 3 or 4 fast beeps. This what I am running.

Sata DVD Burner

Sata HD

Mobo
CPU
Video Card
RAM
HD
CPU Cooler
Silver Compound

Case and PSU

I can't think of what I did wrong.

I have the 24 pin plugged into the mobo along with the 4 pin, do I need the 4 pin plugged in also? I noticed my old machine only uses the 20 pin, the 4 is unplugged.

Edited by mfarre03, 01 March 2008 - 08:28 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Award BIOS Beep Codes
Award BIOS uses beeps of varying duration. A long beep will typically last for 2 seconds while a short beep will last only 1 second. Award BIOS also uses beeps of different frequency to indicate critical errors. If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running.
BEEP CODE MEANING POSSIBLE CAUSE
1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter
Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection
1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory
High freq. beeps (w running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure
Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor

Not much more to say. Check to see if CPU heatsink is seated properly, and fan is running. Since there is a 4 pin connector on the motherboard what makes you think it should not be used. The manual for your MB says that the 4 pin 12 v connector is used for the power needed by the AMD processor. So there is where i think your problem is.

SRX660

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
The 4 pin and the 24 pin are both in.

-I pulled the ram out and got the beeping over and over.
-Then i put the ram back in and still got the long then 2 short beeps
-I then pulled the Video card out and still got the long then 2 short beeps

So the video card must be bad?

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Anyone there???? lol

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Anyone there???? lol

:) I'm here

Have you tried these instructions?

Cheers

Troy

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Try using only one stick of ram at a time, one of them might me dead.

Soorena

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I thought I had to keep them as a pair ?

Edited by mfarre03, 02 March 2008 - 06:36 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A computer will run with only one stick of RAM :)

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Alright, I did that and I still get the same beep codes, 1 long into 2 short. I tried a diff video card, went out to bestbuy and bought a 9600gt...grrr, LOL, $220, thank god they have a 30 day return policy, lol.

After taking the vid card out, same beep, video card in, same beep, one stick of ram, then other, same beep. I am now taking the board out and placing it on a piece of cardboard. If this doesnt work then I will RMA the board back to Newegg. Unless anyone has a better idea?

Thanks
Mike

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Are you sure the OTHER 4/8 pin besides the 20+4 pin mobo connector is connected? This usually results in no signal being sent to the monitor but it may cause this too. Also make sure that the ram is all the way in and that you hear a click when you push it in, this means that it is locked in place and properly inserted.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 02 March 2008 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My psu came with an 8 pin that I seperated into two fours and plugged into my board. I pushed the Ram in and the arms closed onto the ends. I really dont want to push harder, im sure it is in. I am a pretty big guy and sure I could do some damage to the board if Im not careful, lol. The power is connected to the vid card also.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
We had a problem a couple of years back where someone had too many screws connecting the mobo to the case, make sure you use the proper ones since there are some that are not meant for that purpose, make sure the holes have a metal rim around them and only use as few to hold the board down, if you are using all holes your using too many.

Soorena

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I will take a few out? I have six in, thats how many standoffs were on myh case, all the holes have metal on them.

I left everything plugged in except the usb and av'97, had it in a cardboard box cover, started back up...still getting the same sound. After I hear the beeps I do notice that the floppy drive lights up as though its looking for a boot disk. I still think that the PCI E is dead.

I have never used Sata before, shouldn't my optical drive be able to be opened? Or will it only if the MOBO posts? NO matter what I do, I still get the same beeps.

Edited by mfarre03, 02 March 2008 - 09:12 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Your drive should open if the power supply is on, I'm guessing it's a bad board since we've tried everything.

Soorena

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok, it still seems strange that the cd rom doesn't open and the HD doesn't spin up. Is that because the board is bad?