Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't post...HELP!

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hmm its interesting though I have an old cdrom, yes an actual cd-rom not dvd or cdrw, lol, and I modded the PSOne screen into it but it opens up even though its not connected to the motherboard, so its strange that his doesn't seem to be the same, and as far as I know the motherboard can't tell the PSU what to do its just not made that way, it just sets how much of the PSU its willing to accept.

Soorena

Advertisements

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
But why won't the HD spin or optical open???? If they have power going to them and they don't do anyting, arn't they dead?>

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
OK, dropped an IDE DVD rom into my system and that worked, attempted to load Windows and nothing. I am going to RMA the Sata HD and Sata DVD. I will also be sending back the defective case/psu I purchased. Tigerdirect won't just send me a new psu because it came as a combo and Ultra doesn't have one they can send me.

The 9600gt and Earthwatt PSU are going back to Bestbuy for a FULL refund.

I am looking for a new case and psu, trying to stay around $100, any suggestions.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I would be tempted to RMA the motherboard while you're at it. Your description seems to be saying it has faulty SATA ports (possibly amongst other problems).

This is a tough one, no doubt about it. :)

Case
PSU <---- Either of these should be a good choice - the OCZ comes with free shipping :)

Hopefully these will get you out of trouble!

Troy

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I guess I can wait to get the Optical and HD back and see if they will work with power supplied, the ones I have now are dead. If the new ones work then I'm sure the MOBO is ok. If not then I will send the MOBO back. Everything else on the mobo seem to work, ide, fdd, ram is being read, video is good. We shall see.

I like the case you have there, pretty nice. I have the Earthwatt 500 from bestbuy that I could keep, I did read good things about it. I also looked into the Sonata III case but I have read a lot of bad reviews about the front panel being susceptable to a lot of static discharge. I did notice this on the Ultra Grid case that Im sending back to Newegg. Not sure what I am doing for a case and psu as of yet. Might just keep the Earthwatt and get a case, maybe the one you mentioned.

Thanks

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I am going to keep the Ultra Grid case, the shipping and restock fee from Tiger will kill me.

I am going to keep the Earthwatt for now, still waiting for my Sata drives to arrive from Newegg.

Hopefully when I hook it all up I shouldn't have any problems, we shall see.

I will keep everyone posted.

Mike

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Update!!!
I received my new HD and Optical drive from Newegg. I installed them and at boot noticed that my DVD rom light was on!!! Wooot, lol. I went into the bios and could see my Sata drives, installed windows xp pro and low and behold...I am typing on it as we speak.

To sum it up, computer wouldn't post, I would hear a long beep and two short that was indicating that my vid card was bad. Tried a new card nothing, also my Sata drives would not spin up or open. Decided it was a bad PSU, bought a new one from Bestbuy, now computer would post but Sata drives were still dead. RMA'd the drives back to Newegg...and the rest is history.

I guess the first Ultra 700w PSU that came with my Ultra Grid case was faulty and fried my Sata drives. (This was probably why there seemed to be so much static discharge on the front panel of my case)

Everything is running great, I appreciate everyones help..

Thanks,
Mike

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the update. That certainly was a little tricky, but I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for letting us know what fixed it for you - and of course, ENJOY! :)

Cheers

Troy