Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Wireless Network Problems

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have recently acquired a new Wireless Modem and I have installed everything and wired Internet seemed to work fine without major cut-outs.

One day, I looked at the packaging and noticed "WIRELESS" printed in big bold letters and I though to myself: "...Wireless..." I quickly called up my ISP and got Wireless Internet set-up easily.

Here's the problem. The house I'm typing this in is a new house that I have recently moved into. My old house had wireless Internet with a completely different ISP and modem. I BELIEVE that the new ISP software is trying to take over the old Wireless network card, while the old network card software is trying to run by itself. I'm not sure if this is even possible, (which is why this topic is posted here :) ) but every so often, my Wireless Internet will cut-out, and if I try to repair the connection using the default Windows settings, it says that it is unable to find the network. However, if I open up the new ISP software, I am able to see the networks, but NOT connect for some reason. The only way to solve this Wireless connection problem is to exit the new ISP program from the system tray, and manually connect my wireless with the default windows settings.

If this is possible, or if this is a problem, please reply. This is getting on my nerves.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi n0ng33k & welcome to Geeks2Go!
You shouldn't need to install any software that your ISP provides if your router/modem is connected to a network card, in fact doing so can often cause problems. Only time I needed to use mu ISP-provided CD was to install the router's USB driver but I don't even need that now I've switched to a network card and an ethernet cable. I'm using a wired and wireless connection (main PC & laptop) without any of the stuff provided by my ISP. Provided you have your username and password to access your internet account you should be good to go.

Edited by pip22, 01 March 2008 - 08:42 AM.

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Awesome, thanks for the clarification pip.

One more thing, :) I turned on my computer at 7am today and I have only just gotten the Wireless Internet to work (at 9am...I'm on the default network with a very low connection). However, When I try to connect to my own network, it won't allow me. When I open up the Windows "Available connections" list, it says that if another program is in charge of my network connections, I should use that instead.

So I open up the other program, and I see all my neighbors connections, as well as my own. I try and connect to my own, but I get this message full of techno-garble about SSID and 128-bit encryptions and that stuff, saying that it is unable to connect. But the thing is, the Modem is sending out a very strong signal, and my computer recognizes that signal, I'm just unable to connect to the signal. I can connect to all the other non-secured connections in my range, but not my own strong signal. Very strange.

If anyone can help me or give me any useful tips/information to solve this problem, it would be much appreciated.

(Sorry if this didn't make any sense, feel free to post for more information!)

Edited by n0ng33k, 01 March 2008 - 11:30 AM.