Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive installation help

• Please log in to reply

Zatit

Zatit

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my hard drive died, or atleast i think so (got the blue screen of death using xp). I tried to reformat it but my bios wouldn't even recognize the hard drive any more. So instead of playing around with that one I got another 40 gig hard drive from a friend of mine that worked fine on his computer he just upgraded to a bigger one so gave it to me. Its a western digital, I installed it in the computer and was able to reformat it and reinstall windows xp on it but as soon as the install finishes and restarts the computer will only get to the welcome screen of xp then it shuts down and restarts. it continues to do this over and over again. so i tried again to reformat it and reinstall xp and it continues to do the same thing. i can't even get into windows to run a diagnostics program. i also tried the same thing with a 20 gig hard drive that i got from another friend and it does the same thing as with the 40 gig hard drive. i was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix this problem or if there is a problem with some other hardware in my computer that i don't know about. any help on this would be great. i'm beginning to have withdrawls from WOW.
Thank You,
Jamey

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi Jamey! and welcome to Geeks To Go!

I was wondering, are you sure that your Windows Cd is fine? Because if certain files are corrupt and are not copied correctly, it may lead into Windows not loading up. I would suggest trying a different CD if you can get one and maybe trying another CD-ROM since sometimes they tend to not function properly. Let us know if you come across anything new that happens.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 01 March 2008 - 10:31 PM.

Zatit

Zatit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks I'd never thought of that now did I know about the cd rom drive maybe causeing the problem because i did get a dual layer dvd burner that i've been using from craigs list. so i'll try my old cd rom drive that i know works fine along with my other copy of xp thanks for the help hopefully it works out.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Let me know what happens I'm interested to see how this turns out :)

Soorena