Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KB890830-V1.38.exe

• Please log in to reply

benhal8

benhal8

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
So I had a virus that I was trying to shake and was directed to the registry editor. I accidentally removed KB890830-V1.38.exe from it's location to the recycle bin. I salvaged it from the recycle bin but am unable to restore it to its original location. This prohibits me from executing virtually every program - including system restore and opening downloaded files. So I cannot restore and I can't download anything. The computer also does not have the XP disc so I have no idea how to proceed. My work is backed up and I'm awaiting some possible solutions. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ben

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did whoever told you to use regedit, also tell you to backup the registry first? That has to always be the first step, otherwise you can end up in the situation your in now.

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

KB890830 is the Windows Malicious Software Removal tool. Normally, it gets download, executed and deleted by Windows Update.

I don't see why it not being in the registry prevents you from running programs. Have you tried booting to Safe Mode then doing a System Restore from there?

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah, I think I've deduced that I messed something else up. Without using MSCONFIG how can I start in Safe Mode to get to system recovery?

Edited by benhal8, 01 March 2008 - 10:39 PM.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It seems as though my rundll32.exe file is missing.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You get to Safe Mode by pressing F8 (or F5) during boot, when you see the logo come up. See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

XP would not run if rundll32.exe were missing. It should be in

C:\WINDOWS\system32 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Edited by Ztruker, 02 March 2008 - 09:22 AM.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm unable to run the following items on my desktop:
Microsoft Word, Mozilla, Itunes and IE 7. Actually, I can get them to run, just not though the desktop shortcuts.
However, when I try to click on properties in MY COMPUTER, I get the following message

Windows cannot open this file:
File: rundll32.exe
To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can select from a list of programs on your computer.
What do you want to do?
Use the web service to find the appropriate program
Select the program from a list

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the EXE File Association fix, see if thet resolve some/all issues.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You are a lifesaver! Thanks a bunch. At least now everything is functioning. I just have to figure out how to rid myself of the viruses/malware. Thanks again!

Ben

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad that helped. As for the virus/malware issue, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've been working with a malware expert and I'm on my way to being bug free. Thanks again for your help.

Also, now on startup I get a box that pops up and states:

Windows cannot find '\232602.exe'

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Mention that to the malware guru, he'll help you get rid of it. Sounds like it's one of the malware executables that still has run entry at startup but the file itself has been deleted by your cleanup efforts.

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Will do, thanks again.