Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank discs read as "disc not blank"

• Please log in to reply

bleu

bleu

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,
I have a brand new Liteon DVDRW LH-20A1L. I have attempted to use both blank DVD-R's and DVD+R's, but all show up as "disc not empty" in all programs that I attempt to use (DVD decrypter, Nero 7, and Magic CD/DVD burner). Then when I try to read the disc it says that the "Disc is Empty" ... however it burns CD's just fine and plays all discs (dvd, cd, video, data, music, etc).
Firmware is updated, I tried uninstalling and re-installing ... any help would be appreciated, thank you.
BTW - I am on WinXp (sp2)

Edited by bleu, 02 March 2008 - 01:36 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried a different brand of media...some burners don't like a particular brand of media...

bleu

bleu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have tried 3 or 4 different brands

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did it ever work right...is it new...did you recently install burning software or update anything including windows..

Firmware is updated, I tried uninstalling and re-installing

you have done the proper steps to get it working...
have you tried liteon's support ...here..

their email support link is here..

bleu

bleu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your suggestions on my issue :))
When I first installed the drive it functioned normally, but I had an issue with it running in PIO mode, I had to uninstall the secondary IDE channel and reboot. It then ran through the installation and I was able to switch it to DMA ... after that it nolonger read blank DVDs as blank. I tried switching it back to PIO mode to see if this was the issue, but it wasn't.
I have run through the Liteon support pages and sent an email (have yet to receive a response). There were no updates or program installations done in the time that it quit functioning normally.
Since it quit showing blank DVDs as such I have uninstalled burning software and reinstalled, but the situation has not changed.
I am hoping that the Liteon support staff will reply with some suggestions.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how long have you had the drive.....has the drive still got a warranty in effect...
you can try a disk drive cleaner like they have here..

bleu

bleu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you to everyone that has offered their help and suggestions.
I have found the solution. After searching the net endlessly to research this issue, I had come to believe that this must be a registry issue. I installed "Registry Mechanic", restarted the computer, ran "Registry Mechanic" and Viola! The drive now functions properly.
I have very little knowledge of the registry, but when scanning through the log of "errors and missing/incomplete files" I noticed that most of everything pointed to the nero program (which was bundled with the drive).
Thank you again to everyone for your help :)

P.S. - I just received a response from the Liteon support (Which I had sent last week) and their only response was to "return the drive to the manufacturer"