Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Revised Interposer Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Potomac

Potomac

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Revised Question - There has been a lot of traffic on my original question post but no replies so I have been thinking that there is something wrong with the question. And, I think I know what it is. I may have made a mistake when identifying the source of my combo bay and battery problem as the interposer card. After reviewing the system parts exploded view I am sure of it. I now think that my problem is with item 10 (DC-DC & Batt Board). It looks a lot like the Combo bay iterposer board to those of us that don't do this everyday. Anyway from the exploded view I am now sure that the DC-DC & Batt Board is not making contact with either my battery or the combo bay. Apparently the mother board I bought was from a different size (physical) machine than I have. I don't know the ins and outs of what the differences between the components for a 14.1"/12.1" board vs. a 15.0" board. My screen is about 12 inches across so I guess it's a 12.1" model. Has anyone run into this problem before? If I buy the correct battery board for the 12.1 will it mate correcty with the new board? What else should I consider? Is there a way to just get the top off to check this out? Taking this thing apart was one of the more difficult things I have ever attempted. I'd much rather pull a car engine but foolish pride keeps me going.

Original Question - I bought a used motherboard on ebay last year to fix a USB 2.0 problem. It worked as advertised and I was very pleased but I do have a problem that just showed up although I am sure it was there from the beginning. I just didn't notice it because I don't use my thinkpad 390x as a portable.

Problem - when I went to put the pc top back on after installation there were two small plastic ridges on the underside of the top prevented me from putting the cover on. I cut the offending ridges out with a razor knife and proceeded to fire the unit up. Everything seemed to work and I was thrilled. But I could not get the battery or combo bay to work - the computer doesn't see them. What I think hapened is that the interposer card is different on the board I bought and that is why the plastic ridges didn't fit. So what has happened is that neither the battery or combo bay makes contact at the back of the slot.

Have you ever encountered this before and if so what is the solution. There are two interposer cards listed for a Thinkpad 390x but I don't know which I have and if the other one will work even if I buy it.

Your comments would be most welcome

Edited by Potomac, 08 March 2008 - 08:21 AM.

Advertisements