Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My CD/DVD Drive Disappears!

• Please log in to reply

Hexzar

Hexzar

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Ok i dont exactly know for sure how this problem started, but i remember connecting a 1gig usb stick into my computer, after that my cd/dvd drive went funny.

I have a:
IBM T23 Laptop - 512mb ram - 1.13mghz

Basically, when i open up my cd/dvd drive, whether i put in a cd or not, as soon as i press the close button, the cd/dvd drive closes, but then all of a sudden i hear a "disconnect" sound, like when your disconnecting your usb this sound comes up. So now i check, and my cd/dvd drive is no where listed, it isn't in the folders menu, it isn't even listed in device manager!

I have to reboot my computer to be able to SEE the drive again. But as soon as i open and close, it messes up big time.

I did this test, where i opened up the device manager properties, for when the cd/dvd drive is listed. I opened and closed the drive, so i disconnects and goes missing. And i looked at the properties which was still open, and it gave me this error message -

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer"

I really dont know what to do.. and how this problem just occurs... any assistance is hugely appreciated.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Check the cable connections on the back of the drive. There's a chance you might have jostled one of them when you were installing the ram, jsut enough to make the connection shaky when it gets moved (opening the drive).

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
So i gotta open up my laptop, and just make sure the plugs are slotted in correctly?

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
But i dont see how the ram could have done this. I didn't touch the ram ever since i got my laptop. This just happened today... a few hours ago...

It appears in the folders listing when i reboot... but when i open it up and close it... then it disappears.. and disconnects.

Maybe it goes loose... after i've ejected it... but how am i suppose to put it all tightly into place again?

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
hexzar, I made a mistake. I completely missed the part of your post where you said it was a laptop. I was giving you an answer as though you had a desktop system.

A lot of optical drives just push into the laptop. See if its sticking out at all and gently put it back in if thats the case. Otherwise really not sure what else could be doing it.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
i dont know it's really weird. Right now this is the scenario -

If i open up my cd/dvd drive then close it, it's fine.
If i open it up, and put a cd in it, then it disapears, and the whole hardrive disconnects from the computer for some reason.

The only way to play a cd is to put it in, then reboot... and that's how it can read it...

So weird... and i cant think what could possibly causing the problem.