Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

JucieIsGood

JucieIsGood

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was up late one night and was about to go to bed, being tired and whatnot i decided to flip the switch on the power box. Next morning i wake up and do what i usually do than i go to turn on my computer. It seems to be starting up ok but when it comes to the part where it says Windows XP where it shows the blue/green bar going across the screen right before the login screen it seems to be loading alright but on the bars third time across, my computer just reboots. It keeps doing this and i cant start it up in safe mode or how you would normally do it. Ive already tried taking it apart and have inspected all the parts and everything seems to be alright but it keeps on doing this. Is there a solution to this problem without me having to buy something? I am on a different computer at the moment but i cant afford to buy something for the one thats having the problems. :) It is a Sony Vaio Desktop

Edited by JucieIsGood, 02 March 2008 - 03:43 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello JucieIsGood, welcome to G2G.

Most likely when you dropped power on the computer you corrupted the file system.

You need to boot your XP CD and enter R the first time you are allowed to do so. Select your XP partition, login as Administrator (no password required).

At the command prompt, enter chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Allow chkdsk to complete undisturbed. That should resolve the problem.

Also, if you have SP2 installed, you should see an option to Turn off automatic restart when you use F8 to get to Safe Mode. Select it, then when you boot, if there is a blue screen (BSOD) error occurring, it will show you the information.

Hopefully chkdsk will fix it.