Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folders keep opening at startup.

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would disable all startups then try it. If not fixed, disable all non-MS services and try it. If either makes a difference then re-enable half and try, etc.

No other way I know of. Also no guarantee this will help but it's one way to try to isolate the problem to a specific cause.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Cheers,
I'll try this when I have a bit more time on my hands (during the weekdays).
I'll report back with more info once I've gotten it :)

Regards,
Olrik

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It would seem to me that a box checked in Windows Explorer - Folder Options - View that causes this annoyance.

Open Windows Explorer - Tools -Folder Options(in pull-down list) - View(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of "Restore Previous Folder windows at login"

Thanks to DOUG for this hint.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

It would seem to me that a box checked in Windows Explorer - Folder Options - View that causes this annoyance.

Open Windows Explorer - Tools -Folder Options(in pull-down list) - View(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of "Restore Previous Folder windows at login"

Thanks to DOUG for this hint.

Tried this first. I thought it might have been something like this. But sadly this did not do the trick :)

Good grief! You have a ton of stuff running on that computer. Is it all really necessary? VPN and VMWare and Alcohol 120% and Yahoo stuff and Google stuff.

I can think of one thing to try that may help to id what is causing this.

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.

Also, looks like you have 4 or 5 versions of Java installed. You should uninstall ALL of them from Add or Remove Programs then download and install the latest Java 6 update 5.

Ok. I've done everything you said in this order:

• Booted safe mode to see if the folder was still opening. Result: It did NOT
  • Went back into normal mode. Went into MSCONFIG and disabled ALL startup entries. However, I did notice that "C:\WINDOWS\System32\TASKMON.EXE" re-enabled itself. Tried to turn it off but failed at it. Result: Even when everything disabled it still poped up.
  • Disabled all non-MS related services and rebooted. Result: Still poping up.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try creating another user account...make a admin account...if that account does not have any problems then we can transfer your data to that account...
but in one of your earlier posts you said

Yes, I know I have a lot of unnecesary stuff on my computer and some of it might even be spyware or mallware.. I have not had the time to install the propper PC health tools and don't care either.

this leads me to believe ...I/we could be wasting our time...
having and updating the proper tools is NOT OPTIONAL ..its mandatory...without them you will be spending most, if not all, of your time working on your computer instead of working with it....this is = to running your car without oil or water and then spending tons of hours and money fixing it because you didn't have the time to maintain the car...

Edited by happyrck, 11 March 2008 - 12:17 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey happyrck,

The sole reason I posted here was because I have the exact same error as a person I helped out.
I could not resolve the issue and did research to it but couldn't find the cause myself.
Its not ment for me. Its ment for a User. So its defenitly not wasting time.

I just want to be able to pin point the problem of the opening folder then re-install my laptop with the propper windows version instead of the one installed now :)

That's what I said after it.
I want to be able to pin point the problem, then resolve the user's issue and get my own laptop patched up myself :)

Hope I made some things clear.

Regards,
Olrik

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Update:

I just noticed myself (Just stupid of me :) :) ) that the Taskmon that was reapearing was a bit Odd.
So I went to Castle Cops's Startuplist checker, here: http://www.castlecop...tartupList.html .

Scanned for Taskmon and found it it was malware.
Removed it accordingly with HJT.

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you open another user account..

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Isn't making a new user account a workaround instead of an actual fix? (or am I totaly confused now?)
So to be honest. No I did not try to make a new user account.
Also, don't you loose all your user profile settings if you make a new account and ship the data?

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...and yep...
but it will tell us if its a windows issue or your user account issue...you don't have to keep the new account either....
maybe somebody else can help you

Edited by happyrck, 11 March 2008 - 05:52 PM.

Advertisements