Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problems - help!

• Please log in to reply

sofee

sofee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
basically, i got a second hand laptop to do my work and stuff
and when i went to install itunes so i could use my ipod my windows needed updating first
so i did that..
and now whenever i turn the laptop on it says my sound device isn't compatible with my version of windows
and none of my sound works

is there anything i can do??
i've been without sound for ages and it's starting to get to to me....

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
welcome to Geeks2Go, sofee

The driver is possibly the wrong one. to get the right one for your laptop we need more info.
What make and model is the laptop?

Another possibility is that a previous owner may have installed a different version of Windows to what it had originally, and couldn't find a suitable sound driver or simply wasn't bothered about having sound on it. Many casual laptop users don't even use the sound features and don't miss it when it doesn't work.
I'm not suggesting you do the same, just explaining what happens. I have a laptop which I use only occasionally, and because the speakers sound so pathetic I always have the volume set to zero.

If you don't know what make it is or if it's a less well-known brand you can install a system info tool and post the info from it.
The tool is called 'Belarc Advisor' from here: http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2008 - 11:17 AM.

sofee

sofee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the sound worked when i first had it but it stopped ever since updating windows

it is a sony vaio PCG-VX71P
..i think, well that's what's written on the laptop :)

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
It could be that all you need to do is download the update to the Yamaha driver on that same Sony Notebook driver page and you're set and that one is an .exe here.

Additionally you need to look at all of those Windows hotfixes listed for your model on that page. I'm thinking that when you updated your copy of Windows (to XP SP2 with all regular XP updates) that you also needed the hotfixes and the Yamaha updated sound driver.

Here is the full page for your model.

Edited by BravoZulu, 05 March 2008 - 09:13 PM.

sofee

sofee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ah wow!
it's fixed :)

thaaaanks!!!