Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

indio1

indio1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed a new HDD. Turned on computer and this is what monitor said. Detecting HDD Secondary Master...10x
Detecting HDD Secondary Slave...none, Primary slave hard disk fail, floppy disk(s) fail (40), then it says press F1 to continue or DEL for setup, I press F! and this is what happens, no scsi boot device found, bios not installed, updating escd, missing operating system I checked all connections formatted the HDD for installing Windows 98se, I booted with 98 boot up disk that's how i was able to enter format command I tried to boot with windows 98 cd but the monitor displays system disk failure Is there something wrong with the motherboard

Edited by indio1, 03 March 2008 - 12:32 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like you connected the hard drive to the secondary channel, the boot device should be on the primary channel as either master or cable select depending on the type of cable you are using and the motherboard.

We need to know something about your machine, the model number, or the motherboard model number. Some computers have part of the BIOS on the hard drive, most don't. You would be well advised to download the manual for the machine or motherboard before going any further.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Also, make sure the jumper is set for master on the hard drive. You can also try the cable select setting on the jumper, but make sure the cable is connected to the HD with the end connection (not the middle connector).

SRX660