Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to run defrag, scared this may mean I have bigger issues.

• Please log in to reply

juno81

juno81

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was going through and updating my safeties (Spyware Blaster, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot, Lavasoft Adaware, AVG, etc) and thought I would do a general clean-up. I ran the programs, and then ran disk cleanup, then I was going to check to see if I needed to do a defrag as it has been a while. When I clicked on Analyze it said "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:). Please run Chkdsk /f." It won't allow me to defrag.
I tried looking under help as to what Chkdsk is and what I need to do, but I am lost. I don't get it, plus I am concerned that something bigger is wrong as this has never happened before. I didn't find any issues when I ran the previously mentioned programs, so I am more confused. I rebooted in safe mode and ran Smitrem.exe (from http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/) as this seemed to help in the past when I had a problem....still no go.
I am going off of my previous experience and things I've gleaned from your website, and different posts, but haven't been able to find anything that seems to sound similar to my problem, and haven't been able to fix this myself. I don't want to try a system restore as in the past when I have done that it seemed to screw up my computer even worse. If anyone has any idea what is going on, or what I need to do could you please let me know? I don't have much $ to donate, but I could scrape something up, and you would be doing me a huge favor.
Just in case I did a HijackThis scan and this was the log:

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   11.47KB   65 downloads
--
End of file - 11356 bytes

:)

Edited by wannabe1, 04 March 2008 - 08:30 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The disk checker only runs after you reboot the machine, so if you have scheduled it you need to reboot, let it run and then defragment the disk.

juno81

juno81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I previously rebooted, more than once, and no change. Also as far as I am aware I have not scheduled it, not even sure how I would, thanks for the suggestion though :) Anything else you can think of??

Oh also just noticed I keep getting little message bubbles on my task bar saying different files are corrupt "blah blah blah is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility"

Does this make any sense? I keep feeling like I might have some sort of virus or something, but I keep coming up clean.

Edited by juno81, 03 March 2008 - 07:43 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Step one:

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query ?: and press "Enter". (Where ? is the letter of the drive to queried)

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

Step Two:

Should the query indicate that the drive is, in fact, "dirty", the following procedure will almost always recover the faulting cluster and reset the valid bit, removing the address that's triggering chkdsk.

To unset the Dirty Bit
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c ?: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
  • chkntfs /x ?: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Substitute the drive letter for the drive your want to check for the ? in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r ?: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query ?:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup.

Post back if you have any questions.

juno81

juno81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you thank you thank you!!! It worked!! I appreciate your help so much! Thanks!!!!! :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome. Glad it helped.