Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could not open INSTALL.LOG

• Please log in to reply

bondy

bondy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am trying to uninstall Bearshare using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and get this error: Could not open INSTALL.LOG. When i use the Unwise.Exe from within Bearshare folder, it prompts me for the location of the INSTALL.LOG. However, there is no such file in the Bearshare folder. I found a similarly named file in another program folder, copied it to the desktop, and tried to point the uninstall to that. However, all that did was try to uninstall the program whose folder i copied the INSTALL.LOG from!

Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, bondy.

As you've discovered, many program installers create an "install.log" file. This records what files were copied, where they were copied to, and what entries were added to the Registry. The uninstaller then reads that log to 'undo' most of what was done. When the log file is missing it can't uninstall.

The usual cure for this is to install the same program over itself (ie install it but be sure to choose the same drive and parent folder where the existing copy is installed. If you accepted the default location the first time, just accept it again). With luck, that will create a new 'install.log' and the uninstaller should now be able to run.

Note -- our policy is not to help anyone with problems relating to file-sharing applications, but since you are wanting to remove it I have made this an exception. Do not use them -- take it off and leave it off. Bearshare itself is not illegal, but it can be (and certainly is) used for illegal activities. Hence our policy.