Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to secure pen drives from viruses

• Please log in to reply

albertspade

albertspade

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi everybody,
I want to raise a question.
As now a days USB devices are very common in use.
They may be pendrives, portable harddisks etc.
But as we can directly attach them to the PC, they are also prone the virus infections.
If the PC to which we are connecting these devices are infected by a virus or some kind of worm, it will infect my USB media as well.
So is there any way to protect them from such kind of infections.
Some softwares or some system settings.....
Thanx.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
All you can do in that respect is the same as you should be doing to protect your internal disks -- always have a good antivirus tool running and keep it updated, with 'real time protection' enabled always. Also when scanning manually make sure the thumb drive or whatever is included (ie connected), not laid on your desk.

Additionally, never let any external drives be "borrowed" or used out of your sight. The borrower may already have a virus infection or not have any virus protection in place on their system. They might also think it a good prank to deliberately put a virus on your disk or thumb-drive just for a laugh.

Stick to that regime and you should be ok. But the only surefire way off keeping a disk virus-free is to never have it connected to a PC. Which of course is not very practical.

Edited by pip22, 04 March 2008 - 03:20 AM.

albertspade

albertspade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here I have a problem the thing is that I dont have other choice.
I have to use my pen drives and USB hard disks at my college.
I have to take backup of my programs and my work on my pen drive.
And the college PCs are not well protected from anti virus.
So can I install some antivirus on my external USB device so that whenever I connect to these PCs, they'll take care of it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Unfortunately, no. All you can do is scan them when you reattach them to your computer. One thing you should do is disable Autorun for all USB devices, that way you won't be automatically infected when you connect the device.

See here for info on how to do this: http://www.annoyance...xp/1182376024?s

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.