Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Standby Script/Batch File/Desktop Shortcut?

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I thought that maybe since there is a way to create a shortcut that shuts down and restarts XP, that there might be a way to make somthing similar to make my monitors instantly go into standby mode. Rather than having to wait 30 minutes for my screensaver.

I know there are programs and such that can do this, but I really don't want to have to install more crap if there is a way to do it straight up with Windows. You know? :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
But there is a way to create shortcuts for 'shutdown' and 'restart'. Who told you it couldn't be done?
http://www.wintipz.c...artShortcut.htm

To make a 'Standby' shortcut, make a new shortcut and enter this in the first box:
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

click 'Next' and enter an appropriate name for it (eg Standby)

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
And thats the same thing as when my monitors go off for the screensaver?

EDIT
I already have the two for shutdown and restart. My question was if there was a similar thing for turning off the monitors, just like when they are automatically shut off after the set amount of time the screensaver has been running.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 04 March 2008 - 12:31 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How about the little power button on the monitor :) 1 touch and poof, the monitor is off.

Edited by Ztruker, 04 March 2008 - 09:09 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I have 3 monitors and it messes up their alignment a bit every time I push the buttons.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All I can find are a few programs (as you said) that will do this. See here: http://www.techimo.c...ead.php?t=90586

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
It seems the author of that topic made himself a little applet that did it. Sure wish the link he gave still worked because I could have seen how he did it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Send the guy (Xorcist) a PM, see if he still has it.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I just sent him a PM, I'm not going to hold my breath though because his latest activity on that forum was midsummer last year. : ( Even just knowing what message that app sent to windows would have helped.