Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card driver problems

• Please log in to reply

steviek

steviek

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello all:
I have a soundblaster live soundcard which is not working. I have gone into bios and disabled the onboard card--it was on auto before--this made no difference. I installed and reinstalled the software, and this made no difference. When I run the diagnostic that came with the software, I get the following:

Hardware detection PASS
Wave Driver FAIL
MIDI Driver FAIL
Mixer Driver FAIL
DIrect SOUND 3D Driver FAIL
Sound Font Setting PASS
Mixer Setting Check FAIL

I try to press the BEGIN FIX button but niothing happens. I can't call Tech support as this card is no longer supported.
Not sure how to go about fixing this. Once when I was installing and reinstalling drivers the system worked and passed all tests, but when I rebooted it was back to the same old mode. Not sure what I did to make it work though, and I can't seem to duplicate it.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Steve

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try updating DirectX from Microsoft - may have to re-install SB drivers after doing that.
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried to download from the link. It validated my windows, then started the download, about half way or so through a message pops up saying not windows tested and will not be installed and installation fails. I tried this a couple of times same result. Why would this be happening???
Here is the content of the DX Error file:
03/04/08 22:14:00] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2046, function: ExecuteInf

Failed API: SetupInstallFromInfSection()
Error: (1722) - The RPC server is unavailable.

Unable to install C:\WINDOWS\system32\DirectX\DX11.tmp\d3dx9_24_x86.inf:[x86_Install]. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:14:00] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5847, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

ExecuteInf() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:14:00] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:14:00] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:16:34] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2046, function: ExecuteInf

Unable to install C:\WINDOWS\system32\DirectX\DX1C.tmp\d3dx9_24_x86.inf:[x86_Install]. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:16:34] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5847, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

ExecuteInf() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:16:34] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:16:34] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:18:47] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2046, function: ExecuteInf

Unable to install C:\WINDOWS\system32\DirectX\DX9F8.tmp\d3dx9_24_x86.inf:[x86_Install]. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:18:47] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5847, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

ExecuteInf() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:18:47] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:18:47] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:29:22] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2046, function: ExecuteInf

Unable to install C:\WINDOWS\system32\DirectX\DXEE9.tmp\d3dx9_24_x86.inf:[x86_Install]. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:29:22] module: dxupdate(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5847, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

ExecuteInf() failed.

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:29:22] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

--------------------
[03/04/08 22:29:22] module: dsetup32(Oct 22 2007), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

Edited by steviek, 04 March 2008 - 09:46 PM.

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello, it could be that the sound card js no longer properly functional, or that you just didn't fully seat it in the PCI slot. Try pulling it and then more firmly re-seating it again, and also try another PCI slot if that doesn't work. When you first installed the card you should have got the "new hardware found" prompt I didn't see you mention that.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The card is recognized, and actually plays sounds when the computer starts up, but I no sound for any applications

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I would Try moving the card to a new slot you might have IRQ sharing issues.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Check to assure that your Remote Procedure Call(RPC) service is Started and Automatic

Start - Run - (type)services.msc - scroll through the list to Remote Procedure Call(RPC)
Check the Status.
If it is not Started and not Automatic, Double-Click on Remote Procedure Call(RPC) - Change to Start - Automatic

Attempt to reinstall your Sound Blaster now.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Great advice Doug, and while OP's in services might as well make sure "windows audio" applet-service is started (or stop it then restart it).

Edited by BravoZulu, 06 March 2008 - 12:18 AM.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Tried all the suggestions--the windows audio is ion automatic but not started. when I start it. The sound card shows up in the sound category in the control panel, but still no sound!!!!

I even tried different drivers, but to no avail.
After I install the original software everything seems fine. The card and components all pass the test. After the reboot, however, back to failure as noted above

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Steviek,

There are a few factors that may be contributing to your present difficulty.
You should Print a copy of these recommendations and complete the entire list of items.

First please review your Sound Blaster and the CD/media you may be using to install its drivers.
Sound Blaster continues to be a usable sound card, but it came out in about 1998 or earlier. If you are using original drivers from a CD, they may not be up to date nor compatible with your machine.
Uninstall Sound Blaster drivers
Download current Sound Blaster drivers for your operating system here: http://www.soundblaster.com/support/
Complete the rest of this list, before attempting to install sound blaster driver again.

What version of Sun JAVA are you running?
Download Sun JAVA JRE 6 build 5 is the latest and only secure version at this time, here: http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp
Download the "offline installation item" Close your browser. Install JAVA JRE 6 build 5

If you have any of the following:
Temporarily uninstall
Spyware Guardian
Spybot Search and Destroy
SpywareBlaster
Ad-Aware

Reinstall them after you've finished the rest of this procedure.
(note: SpywareGuard v2.2 consumes large amounts of system resources... I can't recommend it for low resource machines)
(Note: I would also recommend AVG Antispyware 8.0 over Ad-Aware)

Temporarily disable Windows Defender (if installed)
Temporarily disable Windows One Care (if installed)

Some of your operating system files may be missing or corrupted.
They get used a lot, and many application software installations make changes and add additional file.
This is common and does not necessarily indicate a problem with the operating system, but if an application is failing or causing other functions and applications to fail, then it is important to assure that all Windows correct files are in place.

Please run your System File Checker:
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - (press)Enter <--notice the required space before the "/"

SFC will scan your Windows Operating System files to determine if all files are in their correct location and written correctly. If it finds files missing or corrupted files, it will call for the Windows Installation CD to copy/paste the correct necessary system file. (Have your Windows Installation CD handy)
SFC scan usually takes about 8-10 minutes to complete. If SFC stops within 1 or 2 minutes, it has not completed and should be run again.
__________________________--

It is also possible that system files may be in place, but may have been written to bad-sector locations on your hard drive. All hard drives have "bad-sectors" even when they are brand new. Windows routinely identifies bad-sectors on the hard drive and flags them to not be used.
To assure that all of your system files are written to good sectors and available for use, please run CHECKDISK
Start - Run -(type)chkdsk /f <---notice the required space before the "/"

You will receive a warning that CHKDSK cannot be run at this time, due to files being in use.
You will be invited to schedule CHKDSK to run at the next time you boot your computer.
(type) Y for yes, and reboot your machine.
CHKDSK will begin scanning before Windows is loaded.

CHECKDISK runs 5 types of scans in series, one after another.
The scans should not be interrupted.
Total time for running CHKDSK is generally at least 45 minutes and can take a couple of hours depending upon the size of your Hard drive.

Download and Run - ATF-Cleaner to remove temporary internet files and other junk files.
Download here
_________________-

Unless you have recently Defragged, do so now.

Go to Microsoft Update site to Update your Operating system.
http://www.update.mi...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Download and install from MS -- DirectX 9.0c
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Now attempt to install your Sound Blaster Driver

Keep us posted with your progress, especially any steps above that you have difficulty with, and/or any specific error alerts you may receive when attempting to install Sound Blaster.

Best Regards

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Again StevieK,

Here's an easy one to overlook....

You indicate that Sound Blaster has been installed and appears in your Control Panel and Device Manager?

Do you have a Volume Control Icon in the notification area of your Tray? (down by your clock)

If not, open Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Controlers
Double-Click on Sounds and Audio Controlers to open the Properties panel.
Make sure that there is a checkmark/tick for the item: Place Volume Icon in the task bar
Make sure that "Mute" does not have a checkmark/tick.
Adjust the Volume "slider" to about half way, or according to your preference.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you for the help.
Seems to have been resolved. There were no driver errors. For some reason, eventhough it is automatic the WINDOWS AUDIO will not start on it own, reinstalling the software, orginal first and then upgrade and then manually starting the windows audio I have audio on the net and when I play CD.
Thank you for all your help.

Any ideas on how to get the Windows audio to start by itself????

regards

Stevie

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hey StevieK.

Good Work. I'm glad you are making progress toward your solution. :)

Windows Audio is a "service" in the operating system and may have gotten "turned off" or "disassociated" from one of its dependencies. Windows Audio is "dependent upon Plug and Play and Remote Procedure Call "Services".
Any one of the above being turned off will cause you the kind of problem you mention.

To open "Services Console"...

Start - Run - (type)services.msc - Enter

You will now have the Services Panel displayed.
"Services" are listed in alphabetic order.

Scroll down to Plug and Play <-- Should be (status) Started and (start type) Automatic
If it is not... Change the StartUp Type((pull-down menu)) to Automatic and Press Start - Apply - OK
________________-

Scroll to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) <-- Should be (status) Started and (start type) Automatic
If it is not... Change the StartUp Type((pull-down menu)) to Automatic and Press Start - Apply - OK
____________-

Scroll to Windows Audio <-- Should be (status) Started and (start type) Automatic

Use the File - Exit command to close your Services Console

Reboot your machine.
_____________-

The only other place that I know of that "could" be interfering with Windows Audio would be the BIOS - Plug and Play feature... which should be set to Automatic. <-- it would be highly unlikely that you'd have to do anything with your BIOS, so please let us know if the above previous instructions do not work for you... before you decide to go into the BIOS.

Best Regards

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
First: A big Thank you to Doug and others for their help.
I did everything as instructed. When I reboot the windows audio is in automatic but does not start. Have to start it to have sound.
The plug and play I think works fine as it finds newly plugged in hardware no problem.
I do have an on board audio card which was set to automatic, I set to disable in the bios when I first started trying to fix this problem.
Also I notice when I run services.msc that RPC is set to automatic and started but there is also RPC locator which is set ot manual and is not started. Also there is a Universal Plug and Play Device which is also set to manual. Could one of these be the cause of the problem???

Thank you

Stevie

Edited by steviek, 10 March 2008 - 10:17 AM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hey Steviek,

RPC locator is a totally "different" service and should "not" be adjusted/changed. <-- leave it "off" and "manual"

Yes.
You can adjust/change Universal Plug and Play to "Started" and "Automatic"

Please let us know if the change to the Universal Plug and Play makes a difference for you.

Best Regards.