Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Windows XP and Windows programs

• Please log in to reply

kwohio

kwohio

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I recently bought a new Dell Vostro 200 with Windows XP Pro/SP2. With it came a program, PCMover, for transferring my files from my old Windows 2000 Pro computer to the new Dell. All appeared to go well, but apparently the software transferred some old system files from Windows 2000 as well. My computer completely crashed after I attempted to install some new software. I called Dell, and we rebooted the system with the XP CD, as described in your article in this forum. I went to the Microsoft Update site, which attempted to install Windows Installer 3.1 and failed. Researching this problem I found the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable on Microsoft's website and was able to install that. Now, at least the Automatic Updater finds the Updates I apparently need, but they always fail to install. I thought perhaps my firewall had something to do with that, so I disabled it and ran the updates again, but again, they failed. In addition, occasionally when I attempt to run a program such as Word or Excel or IE, it will not load properly. If I log off my computer and log back in, the program will then run properly. My theory is there are still fragments of Windows 2000 somewhere choking my system. Dell seems to think the only way to resolve the problem entirely is to completely reformat the hard drive and start from scratch, this time moving my files manually instead of via PCMover. That seems so drastic, not to mention the time it will take me to move all my files manually. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I just attempted to attach my Hijack This text file to this message, and I got "Upload Failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file."

Note: I just downloaded the newer version of Hijack This and attempted to attach my text file again, got the same message...

Edited by kwohio, 04 March 2008 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Last things first -- what format was the hjt log in? Certain filetypes are blocked from this forum if they are of the type can contain a virus, though admittedly I can't see an hjt logfile being one of those. In any event, you should not be posting hjt logs here -- they should be posted here, and only here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Regarding your OS problem, if you have an XP CD you can run the 'System File Checker'. Insert the XP CD, click start->run, type sfc /scannow
and press [Enter].

kwohio

kwohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you -- I realized after attempting to attach the Hijack file that I wasn't supposed to put it here, anyway. Perhaps that's why it won't attach!

I ran the system file checker when on the phone with Dell. also. It turned up nothing. The Dell tech's response was, "I was afraid of that." At that point he suggested I could run some Registry Cleaner software (with someone's assistance!), or Dell could walf me through a complete reformat, as I mentioned. I am doubtful of the Registry Cleaner software, because I have heard that some is malicious. I would not attempt that without tech support, in any case.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Were I you, I would start over.

1. Restore the system to it's like new state using the recovery partition or CD.
2. Apply all MS Updates.
3. Migrate your data.

kwohio

kwohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks -- I suspect that if I want a pristine system with no problems I will have no alternative but to reformat. With Dell's assistance I already re-ran the CD, as you describe. Problem not solved. Updates from Windows Update do not install. The whole process appears to run, but then I get the message that not all updates could be installed, with a list. I was hoping there would be a less laborious solution!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
start...run...type in cmd...press enter
type these in 1 at a time and press enter after each one..
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

go to START....Run....type in services.msc press enter

In the new window on the right handside

Ensure that Automatic updates is started and set to Automatic
Also check that the Background Intelligent Transfer service is set to automatic

reboot and try updating

no joy

If that still doesn't work, can you post any part of your C:\Windows\Windows Update.log which shows the error?

it will be at the bottom and may not show the full name until you click on it..[attachment=19012:unopened_log.jpg]

Edited by happyrck, 05 March 2008 - 11:32 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Dell's technician was right. your best option is clear format and manually transfer the data. From what you describe there are serious software problems on this new computer. I am almost sure that even if you manage to repair some of them others will soon crop up. I would never accept that in a new computer.