Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Damaged USB port

• Please log in to reply

GdpaIke

GdpaIke

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop got knocked over and landed on the USB wireless mouse connected to my IBM T22. The port is no longer functional ; I have tried serveral devices with no luck. I realize that this is a very old computer, but it still serves me well. Can I replace my laptop USB port without to much trouble?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Most likely no. At least you'd have to get a port for that motherboard and solder it on ( after removing the old if it is still attached) or maybe resolder the old one if the port itself isn't damaged. At worst you'd need to replace the motherboard.... However you MIGHT be able to find a pcmcia card with a usb connector on it... I've been told they exist though I've never seen them..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

However you MIGHT be able to find a pcmcia card with a usb connector on it... I've been told they exist though I've never seen them..

http://www.google.co...a...sb 2.0&um=1

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Thanks Dsennette I looked a bit too but no place actually had any.... they mentioned them in the search item of the site but didn't actually have any.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well i've had to buy a few so i know they exist (and how hard they are to find most of the time)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

well i've had to buy a few so i know they exist (and how hard they are to find most of the time)

LOL yeah I know that situation! Thanks again.... Archiving this for future reference.

GdpaIke

GdpaIke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the help.

I ordered SYBA NEC Chipset USB 2.0 2-Port PCMCIA Cardbus (5 Year Warranty) for $10.95 + 5.95 shipping from http://www.buyextras.com/index.html

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Glad we were able to help...

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Actually, dell.com has some expresscard adapters, most of them with 2 FireWire and a USB. Take a look at this Belkin one.

I know you've got one already, but this is for anybody else that is interested.

Edited by The Admiral, 06 March 2008 - 08:41 PM.