Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! cpu fan not comming on when I power up computer

• Please log in to reply

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The mobo is Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l, I have a pentium 4 (stinks I know) with a jungle512 fan. I just finished putting the system together today.

Advertisements

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
ahhh its going 166 rpm now... what the heck?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
when I changed the "cpu smart fan mode" to "voltage" it went to 2000+ rpm and then when I changed it to "pwm" it made it to 2600 rpm. it should be about 3500 rpm.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
ok nvm I turned off the cpu smart fan mode alltogether and it fixed it! yay, I geuss my fan doesn't support that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Glad we could help you fix your problem!

:)

Please post a link to your CPU heatsink/fan? You said it was a "Jungle" one?

Troy

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
yeah thanks for your awesome quick help!! :)

heres the linkhttp://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/Retail/cl-p0037/cl-p0037.asp

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It looks pretty similar to the standard Intel cooler. I would assume it should work the same.

What makes you think it "should" be about 3500rpm? What temperatures does the BIOS report?

Troy

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hey guys since you seem to be familiar with this stuff, I'm not a fan of fans and don't have any in my computer however my parent's computer has this problem where the CPU fan is not spinning as fast it needs to and the temps are at 50ish idle and 65ish under a little load, what program do you guys use to control fan speeds? I tried SpeedFan but it was already set to 100% but it slowed down the fan when I ran the program, I heard of people tweaking it to work and I'm not one of them, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Soorena

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

What makes you think it "should" be about 3500rpm? What temperatures does the BIOS report?

Troy

Because on the old system it was usually at 3500rpm, now that the fan is working fine the temperatures are arround 25c.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hey guys since you seem to be familiar with this stuff, I'm not a fan of fans and don't have any in my computer however my parent's computer has this problem where the CPU fan is not spinning as fast it needs to and the temps are at 50ish idle and 65ish under a little load, what program do you guys use to control fan speeds? I tried SpeedFan but it was already set to 100% but it slowed down the fan when I ran the program, I heard of people tweaking it to work and I'm not one of them, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Soorena

I don't control my fan I just let it do its thing and my temps run fine, lol. are you sure that its not running at fast enough rpms? if its been going a while it might need a new coat of thermal paste. In my old system my fan was arround 35c but now that I applied a new layer of thermal paste and stuck it in the new system its around 25c... at least I assume its because of the new layer of thermal paste. I'm just a beginner and I'm not for sure, so you would be better off asking someone with more experience. However I just thought I'd give my two cents worth :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Soorena

Create your own thread. :)

trnstar, the reason why your fan wasn't spinning at it's maximum RPM is because it'll reve up and down depending on the temperature. This makes the fan as quite as possible.
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 March 2008 - 10:57 PM.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Soorena

Create your own thread. :)

trnstar, the reason why your fan wasn't spinning at it's maximum RPM is because it'll reve up and down depending on the temperature. This makes the fan as quite as possible.
James

OH!! I feal like an idiot...

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Much quieter now, I forgot that graphics fan made noise :)