Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overclocking with easytune 5

• Please log in to reply

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Whenever I use easytune 5 to overclock, it doesn't keep the settings. how do you use that program?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I highly recommend you use the BIOS to overclock over any software. I have briefly looked at easytune 5, but your BIOS will provide you with much more information and the risk of corruption is much lower on a failed overclock.
Once you enter the BIOS on a gigabyte board, press Ctrl+F1 to see more options in the various locations of the BIOS, particularly the overclocking section.
James

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
ok thanks.

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I agree the bios is much better, and the overclocks are more "legacy" -- not needing any software to run or execute.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
what about the graphics? is it better to download different software for the graphics or will this software do? also whats the best way to oc the graphics? do I just increase the core clock and memory clock the same amount? and how much do I increase at a time?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
To OC a graphics card you will need the utility provided on the companies website, ie - Nvidia or ATI. I believe that Nvidia program is called "NTune" and the ATI is called "ATI Tools". Personally I don't feel that OCing a GPU is worth it. Newer cards typically don't have much room for OCing and the performance gained is not worth the voided warranty.

Typcially the core clock will OC much higher than the memory clock. Just like OCing the CPU, do it in small increments and test.

Edited by Titan8990, 05 March 2008 - 02:42 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
ATI has no overclocking support built into their drivers, so you will need a third-party application. ATITool is a third-party application that can overclock both ATI and NVIDIA cards. In my opinion, RivaTuner is the best utility for overclocking your GPU.

Also, some companies won't void your warranty for overclocking. Two that are on the top of my head are EVGA and XFX.

Edited by stettybet0, 05 March 2008 - 03:33 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

ATI has no overclocking support built into their drivers, so you will need a third-party application. ATITool is a third-party application that can overclock both ATI and NVIDIA cards. In my opinion, RivaTuner is the best utility for overclocking your GPU.

Also, some companies won't void your warranty for overclocking. Two that are on the top of my head are EVGA and XFX.

ATI does have overclocking support built into the catalyst control center (CCC).
ATI tool and Riva tuner are the best overclocking tools IMO. If you have an ATI card, just use the program provided, unless you want to exceed the specified clock rates in that program. Then you're going to need to look towards 3rd party support.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
[quote name='james_8970' post='1182110' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:30 PM']ATI does have overclocking support built into the catalyst control center (CCC).[/quote]
Thanks for the info James. I've never had an ATI card, so I was just basing this off of an article I found on the internet.

[quote name='http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1803&page=8']Unlike its arch rival nVidia, ATI does not include any sort of overclocking ability in its drivers, concealed or not. This means that is necessary to use a third-party utility to overclock the company's cards.[/quote]

[quote name='james_8970' post='1182110' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:30 PM']ATI tool and Riva tuner are the best overclocking tools IMO.[/quote]
I also agree with ATITool and RivaTuner being the best for OCing the GPU. The only reasons I recommended RivaTuner over ATITool is that ATITool doesn't support all video cards, especially more recent ones (like my G92 8800GTS, for instance), and RivaTuner allows you to save your OC and have it automatically implemented on startup. I still use ATITool for its artifact scanning feature, though. It's a great way to check for GPU overclock stability. Also, if ATITool supports your GPU, its auto-overclock feature is pretty nifty too.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I still use ATITool for its artifact scanning feature, though.

Which is why I recommend using both.
James

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I have an xfx card so I should be good as far as warranty goes? Thanks for the info guys.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

:) XFX have an overclocker-friendly warranty.

Cheers

Troy