Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

jimarch

jimarch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone ever figured out the problem with Windows shutdown where everything closes but Windows remains and the only thing left in memory is Rundll32? If you try to "end task" you are left with a system that can only be shut down by the manual reset button. Then, when Windows restarts, you get the blue screen 'slap on the wrist' because you didn't shut down windows properly. I've put up with this for a few years now and never found a solution. It always shuts down properly immediately after the reboot.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi jimarch
Welcome to geekstogo
I have found that most of the time this shutdown problem is due to the fast shutdown is enable in your msconfig.exe to get to your msconfig. start, run then type in msconfig.exe and click ok. Here is a microsoft page you can read on this problem Microsoft page
<_<

wachob2000

wachob2000

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi.

I am also having problems with Win98 SE shutdown and freeze up. Read through the website accompanying your reply, this could help. Mine freezes at many more points, as attested to various programs in Device Manager "not responding". More, upon bootup, my hard drive is not detected, or an error message comes saying that it is not formatted FAT32. O boy!

My computer salesperson is having me yank all the cards in my slots, in case there is IRQ conflict. No luck yet. I have an AMD machine, I have wondered if next time I need to go Intel?

Robert

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Tazz posted a very comprehensive link from Microsoft. Usually, I've found shutdown problems are caused by "fast shutdown" being enabled, a faulty hardware driver, or a program refusing to close (usualy spyware, or anti-virus software).

wachob2000, sounds like you may be having memory errors, or data corruption. Memtest86 is a very good free program to test your memory. Also, be sure you've installed the latest BIOS and drivers for your motherboard.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Just some input on intel and amd chips
You having shut down problems is not due to you using amd chip A lot of people use intel. I have built a lot of pc and all I use now is amd chip I get them for less $ and they run great I have two pc running amd chips one is a 800mz and the other is a athlon 1800+ I love them We can work with you on fixing the problems you are having and you will be fine with the amd chip. to keep your pc up and runnning good you need to set up a routine on doing defrag. delete temp files and run your spybot. and I recommend that all running windows to upgrade to XP by doing a clean install from what I have been reading microsoft will soon be stopping there support on windows 95,98, 98se.
<_<