Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP W/ NEW SET UP

• Please log in to reply

ultimatex87

ultimatex87

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm completely new at building computers. I built one about 2 years ago but forgot how. I connected everything that I can think of but am not 100% sure I did everything right. So when I started it up, everything appeared to work fine. It had a display screen of F1 to do this, F2 to do this, Enter to go to BIOS. So I hit enter and went to BIOS to change my boot order to DVD-ROM (only cd drive) so I could install VISTA on my computer. When I put it at 1st priority and hit F10 to save changes and exit, it shut off and restarted my computer. Now nothing comes up on my monitor when I turn my computer on. The computer might've restarted a couple times on its own, but I'm nto sure. Please help me and wlk me through!!

Advertisements

ultimatex87

ultimatex87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
CPU INIT ON LCD DISPLAY......

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115017

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131227

After some more booting, i think it turns on, shuts off, then turns itself back on within 10 seconds... think that may be a cpu problem??

also I have
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118003

and when I installed it, I put a lot of pressure on the CPU. It's not possible to screw the heatsink in without putting at least 50 lbs of force on the CPU. Could that be the problem?

Edited by ultimatex87, 05 March 2008 - 12:30 PM.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Do you get any beeps codes when the computer boots up? Pertaining to any possible hardware malfunctions?

ultimatex87

ultimatex87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
my system doesnt get past POST or to BIOS. It only displays CPU INIT on the LED DISPLAY (mobo). But its worked a couple times before and I even installed vista on it. Now it won't budge

EDIT:

The fans turn on. The lights turn on. They all shut off by itself and then turns back on again. don't know what this could be.....

Edited by ultimatex87, 06 March 2008 - 11:02 AM.