Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with PC

• Please log in to reply

Mad Stef

Mad Stef

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When i try to load windows in XP, the load screen has blue looking squares scatterd around the screen. Once it loads my moniter goes into power save mode. My PC is only working in safe mode.
Ive tested my PC with another moniter and i get the same problem.
My PC still detects my graphics card which is what i thought the problem may have been.
Ive also tryed a system restall, also didnt work.
Any help will be greatly apreateated.

Edited by Mad Stef, 05 March 2008 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Mad Stef, & welcome to Geeks2Go!

Your problem description does seem to be related to the graphics card or it's device driver.
When you say "My PC still detects my graphics card" do you mean it's actually listed by name in Device Manager, or are you just
going by the fact that Windows still comes up? (allbeit only in Safe Mode at present).

You see, it's possible your graphics-card device driver has become corrupted and needs re-installing. When that happens, Windows substitutes it's own low-resolution driver which causes Windows to look like Safe Mode when it isn't. Or it may indeed actually be running in Safe Mode as you say, in which case there would be a 'Safe Mode' message in all four corners of the screen. But whatever mode it's in, it's very likely you'll fix it by re-install ing the graphics driver.

If you don't have a CD with drivers on it for your PC, or if there isn't a folder named 'Drivers' on a second partion (D:) on your PC, you'' need to download the driver. Please download and run 'Belarc Advisor' and post the hardware system info to us so we can help you get the right driver.
Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Mad Stef

Mad Stef

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help. Windows doesnt go into safe mode it self i have to select it after pressing F8. I have a radeon x800 ill try reinstalling the drivers when i get the chance.

Edited by Mad Stef, 07 March 2008 - 04:20 AM.

Mad Stef

Mad Stef

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know whats wrong now it is my graphics card, but not the drivers. I tested my graphics card in another machine and get the same problem. So it must be the hardware?