Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Area Network Gone

• Please log in to reply

YotaFun

YotaFun

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all,
New to the forum,
But not new to the world of computers with issues.
I just recently brought home with me my friends Dell Dimension E150.
The system that is operating on this machine is Windows XP Media Edition.

I ran SpyBot S&D to at least get to clean up some things in the PC.
Then I did a Disk Clean up to hopefully let the PC breath a little.
Then I installed McAfee to delete any other virus or malware that may be on the PC.

Well it froze mid way after removing a few things.
Now when I boot up I get a message that stat that an error has occurred with startdvr.exe.
That when I search on google brought me to this site :)

There was also another error that came up when McAfee states it found a trojon stating that lanmandrv.exe has an issue deleting or being quarantined.

Also I tried to get on the internet and it wont go on.
And when I go into network places I get an error message that state the following:
"The Network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the network connections service is enabled & running"

Also there is no Local Area Network Icon in the Network connections section under my network places.

Any help to help me finish cleaning out this PC and getting it back on the internet and updated would be greatly appreciated.
Also I don't think that just erasing and redoing the PC is an option at this point unfortunately due to the fact I don't think they have a CD to restore or have made a back up CD... (not as tech knowledgeable as moi but I cut them some slack lol!)

Again Thank You In Advance!
YotaFun

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, YotaFun

I think you should run the 'mother' of all hijack detectors to fix any remaining malware issues before proceeding any further.
That 'mother' is called 'HijackThis' and it's available here: http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

Run it to produce a log file which lists all the processes and applications currently installed or running on the host pc.
Don't attempt to fix anything at this stage with HJT. Just post it's log file here (only here please):
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Please first read the 'pinned' post at the top entitled "You must read this before posting a HijackThis log"
After posting the log, please be patient as the staff who are trained to analyse these logs are very busy and they are dealt with on a "first come, first served" basis.

Edited by pip22, 05 March 2008 - 04:13 PM.

YotaFun

YotaFun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will do just that.
Thank you Pip

I have heard of and used hijack this before.
Just sometime leary cause I don't know how to make out issues.

Thanks again for the help.