Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB sansa MP3 player doesnt work!

• Please log in to reply

trips487

trips487

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Just finished a reformat and my USB for my mp3 doesn't work anymore. I get a message that says unknown device. Can someone please help me. It worked before I reinstalled windows, but now it doesn't work. I tried all the ports and it still doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

Edited by trips487, 05 March 2008 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Did your mp3 player come with any software for windows? If it did, you probably installed it when new but now it's been 'formatted' off the disk so to speak. That software needs re-installing so Windows can recognise what the device is.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
yes and I reinstalled it but still no good. I even tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it again. I get this hardware has malfunction. Click here to see the problem

Edited by trips487, 05 March 2008 - 05:34 PM.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Does anyone know why this might be happening? Should I reformat windows again or is there something else I can do so I can my mp3 working again? I read some where else that it may have to do something with the BIOS being turned off or something. Do i have to do that?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Support for USB Legacy Device may be turned off in BIOS.... Turn it back on.

"In General", it is important to install software for USB devices "before" you connect the device to your computer.
If you had your MP3 player plugged in when you installed the software, you "may" benefit from uninstalling the software and then reinstalling it before plugging in the MP3 player.

Have a look in your Device Manager for any yellow or red warnings.

Let us know what you find.

Best Regards

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hello. I tried uninstalling the software for the mp3 and taking out the usb device too. After I reinstalled all the software that was needed I tried plugging the usb again and it still says its malfunctioning. The only yellow warning I get is at the task bar that says the new usb device has multifunction and is not recognized by your pc. Or something to that genre. Anyway I will try that BIOS thing you said, but other then that I don't know what to do. Should I reinstall windows again and install it again?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi trips487.

Sorry to read that you are still having difficulty with this USB device.
You mentioned:

the new usb device has multifunction and is not recognized by your pc

Please provide the exact Error Message, including any error code numbers that may be available.

Best Regards

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
"One of the usb devices attached to the this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem click this message."

Universal Serial Bus controllers

(Standard USB Host Controller)

Location 0 (USB Device)

No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

This is all the error messages I get. There is no error codes at all. I made a mistake and put multifunction instead of malfunctioned. LOL. sorry about that.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Did you install your machine's Chipset Drivers (particularly legacy USB drivers) after you Reinstalled Windows?

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I'm not really sure. I had help with one of the dell representative's with all that installation stuff. I remember him saying something about chip drivers just not sure if I downloaded the right one. Where do I go to get them, and find out if I have it installed or not.

Advertisements

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
alright just found out that the only chip driver I found on the dell site which I already installed was the chip set installation utility. Are there anymore drivers to download, and where should I get them from? Thanks for the fast responses.

Edited by trips487, 06 March 2008 - 01:01 PM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Go to the Dell website www.dell.com
Click on Support and Driver Downloads
Enter your machine's Service Tag number

The above will give you the exact list of the original chipset drivers for your specific machine.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
alright I downloaded that and installed it but when I clicked on open it gives me an error pop up and sound. The error says. "The InstallShield engine(ikernal.exe) could not be installed. The system can not find the specific file."

Im so confused and frustrated right now. Wonder why this happened when it worked before i reinstalled the windows.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
alright I was able to find away to download the divice. However I still can't get the MP3 player to work. I still get that yellow pop up saying that it had malfunctioned.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Trip487,

Sorry this is being so frustrating to you.

Would you please provide additional detail about:

alright I was able to find away to download the divice.

and

alright I downloaded that and installed it but when I clicked on open it gives me an error pop up and sound. The error says. "The InstallShield engine(ikernal.exe) could not be installed. The system can not find the specific file."

_______________________-

It may be possible to spot some clues by getting a good overview of your machine.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop...top/default.asp
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.