Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad psu....? I'm going crazy..

• Please log in to reply

mfarre03

mfarre03

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
So I have built this system and had problems ranging from a bad computer post that looked like there was a video problem to the Sata drives not responding. I replaced the Ultra Grid Case 700w psu with an Antec Earthwatt 500w psu.

With this replacement I finally got the computer to post into bios but still could not get the Sata HD to spin up or the Sata Optical to open. I tried the Sata drives with or without the sata connecter connected to the MOBO. So now all I can think of is that I have another bad power supply. I can't see both my HD and optical being bad. Any suggestions?> Should I just return the power supply or buy a tester?

Radioshack has a Thermaltake tester for $12

Thanks,
Mike

Feel free to read about my [bleep] on my other posts, under mfarre03

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
So little information i can't make a call on what to look for. Any system spec's? Have you tried a PATA drive in a simple setup to boot? I'm talking MB, CPU, fans, 1 stick of ram, PATA HD, case Keyboard, mouse, monitor. No cdrom drives, no extra anything. I really doubt it is a bad PS twice. Perhaps you have a bad motherboard. Have you looked art the MB makers manual for the MB? Perhaps you should be loading some SATA drivers for everything to work. It may be you have a slightly older MB that does not have the built-in SATA drivers.

We need more information.

SRX660

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Just take a look at my other posts in this forumn....I'm sending the psu/case back to Tiger, the HD and DVD back to Newegg. Now I need a new case and psu, no clue.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi mfarre03,

Have you considered my suggestions from this post?

If you have kept the Earthwatts PSU, then you could keep that one instead. It's a reasonably nice unit.

Cheers

Troy

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I might just keep the Earthwatt PSU and keep the ultra grid case. Tiger wants me to send the case and psu back, not just the psu. They came as a package deal and would have to get Rma'd as much. I would just send it back but its heavy and I would be eating $25 in shipping. I called Ultra and since it hasn't been a month yet they don't want to warranty the psu, they want me to go through Tigerdirect.
I am thinking that after the month then I can go through Ultra and get a new psu, either sell it on ebay or use it and sell the Antec Earthwatt. Its a lose lose lose situation, lol.