Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Problem when block website filter is on!

• Please log in to reply

YBJLz4

YBJLz4

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok well I’ve had this problem since i have ad my router and it’s something to do with a setting or I just don’t know what’s going on. The router I’m using is a netgear rp614v3. (It’s not wireless its a wire router) It is running 2 computers and a cable connection is connected into the router. Ok now here is the problem

I have to look after the download limit so when we reach a certain % in the day I block a few websites just to stop my sisters going on websites like myspace, facebook, youtube etc cause it just chews up the download limit. When the filter is not on and nothing is blocked the router works fine no lag and doesn’t drop or anything so it’s all good!!
For some reason when I do go into my router and switch on the filter it works for a bit sometimes a hour or more always changers but then out of the blue it just drops or it lags and I don’t know why. Are there any settings I should b changing or anything along those lines? Please help me because it just drives me insane!!

Thanks for reading and hope you and give me some feedback :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
See if there is a firmware update for the router, it usually resolves issues like these. Usually available from Netgear's website.

YBJLz4

YBJLz4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok well im back again sorry haven’t replied just have been busy with school. Ok i got the newest firmware update for m router but im still having the same problem here are a list of things that happen when i "block sites" through my router

*Internet takes ages to load and sometimes doesn’t connect at all, so i have to wait about 1 min and then its back

*On teamspeak all of the sudden when people speak it breaks up(its not them its something to do with my router when it blocks sites)

*also it just drops out randomly for no reason (this is kind of the same thing as the first point, and my network isn’t wireless its all connected by cable)

so these all happen at different times just randomly it might be a hour into when block sites have been enabled or even 5 mins any1 else got any idea of what i should do, would it be something to do with the router firewall?, i checked my windows firewall and its all been enabled to work but it still does the same thing!

thanks for reading and hope u can help