Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer boots slow, but runs good

• Please log in to reply

TerryThomas

TerryThomas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have just been able to get wireless highspeed internet. We live rural and have very few options. I have a laptop that I was trying to network to my desktop. I had a lot of failures before I successfully got them networked and am now able to print through the desktop. The problem is that now the laptop starts up very slowly. A couple of minutes versus the original seconds.

I looked on the internet for ideas and I think maybe I caused duplicate device managers; 5 each of PCI STANDARD HOST CPU BRIDGE and PCI STANDARD PCI TO PCI BRIDGE and also 2 ea of the MOTHERBOARD RESOURCES.

The Performance and Maintenance help file recommends that I disable these files, but disable is not available. Uninstall is the only option. I'm afraid I'll mess things up. Does someone have experience with this that can tell me if I am on the right track and if so, should I really uninstall these?

Please provide me with some insight to your experience. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Terry, save yourself a lot of grief and buy a router. Connect the Broadband modem to it's WAN port and you computers to one of the LAN ports. Get rid of all the bridging stuff. Set both computer to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically.

Much simpler and either computer can connect to the Internet by itself, with or without the other being powered on.

TerryThomas

TerryThomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ztruker,

thanks for replying. I actually have a router. My highspeed comes into the router, the desktop plugs into the router, but the laptop is wireless to the router.

I only networked the 2 computers because I have to print sometimes and my printer is not wireless. So by networking if I turn on the desktop, I can print from the laptop wirelessly.

Mistake?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I'm sure Ztrucker can guide you with this Terry.

There is a much simpler way to network your computers.

What instructions did you follow for your current setup?

The challenge will be to undo what you have setup.

TerryThomas

TerryThomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I just used trial and error from the wizard on the computers at first, but I think it gave too many options and I just picked the wrong ones.

Then finally I think I went to the router home and got directions from their site. But honestly, I don't remember.

I am tempted to restore my laptop to original, using my restore cd and then starting over with absolutely everything. Maybe that would be better?

My husband has cancer and I work full time (plus), so it is hard to find time to spend on the computer. I always rush through and then regret it.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Well....
The way to do it is go through the 'network setup wizard' in
start-all programs-accessories-communication

Both computers connect directly to the internet.
Both computers should be set to MSHome as their name for the network.

No need to make a network disk, choose 'just finish the wizard'

Can you upload screenshots of your network connections on both computers?
Those bridges need to be gone, you don't need to bridge anything.

You have to have more then one connection to make a bridge.
This is what has me wondering about your connections.