Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing and crashing

• Please log in to reply

Keepemrunning

Keepemrunning

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: My computer started being much slower opening windows and responding after I installed Trend Internet Security 2004. I didn't realize that then, just was irritated with the computer. Example: I watch windows slowly open or very slowly dissolve upon closing. I have had the 2005 program installed since early March, and everything is much worse. Most notable is when I'm on the internet. Example: checking e-mail, which in the past would have taken 30 minutes max., can take 3 hours. Ugg! Computer constantly totally freezes between pages so my only choice is a forced shut-down. If I am lucky to get any response with Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, upon trying to go that route I get the blue death screen. I have never had this before of late. I run complete maintenance weekly, by the way.
I don't get responsive assistence from Trend. Any ideas? Is this related to the product, or do I have something else going on that I can't find?

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
Windows 98 does have a problem managing System Resources, and it could be that Trend Micro is a little too 'greedy' in that respect.

This doesn't necessarily mean you'll need to install more RAM, although too little in that department can also cause problems.
Internal Memory and System Resources are two different things tho...

Disabling everything unneccessary from launching at boot (Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup tab) will free some system resources, and might just do the trick.

If not there are really only two alternatives: go for an antivirus that has a smaller 'footprint' (I recommend ESET's Nod32), or upgrade to Windows XP which deals with system resources in an entirely different way.

In the latter case you WILL in all possibility need to install more RAM (512 mb is advisable)