Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bullets in Word 2003

• Please log in to reply

sage_j

sage_j

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using WinXP Pro with Office 2003 and SP3 installed. I can not remember if this problem started before or after SP3 was installed.

When I try to insert bullets or numbering to a list, the bullets or numbers are only applied to the first line of the list such as below:

• John
Jane
Fred

The lines in the list do lineup or indent as they should

It should be:

• John
• Jane
• Fred

If I make the list and apply bullets/numbering to a list on a newly opened word document, everything works as it should, but if I try to do the same thing in the body of a document after a few paragraphs are typed in, then the unwanted insert occurs.

I have checked my options and help in word and have found nothing that should cause this to occur. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Press Shift and Enter after the first bullet entry.
Then subsequent ones should stick until you press Enter twice to cancel it.

sage_j

sage_j

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neil thanks for the reply.

"Press Shift and Enter after the first bullet entry."

I tried your suggestion by putting a bulleted list in a document and like always, it had the bullet on the first item of the list and none on subsequent lines. I then tried the Shift-Enter in ever combination of selections I could think of including placing the cursor after the first bullet. Most time it just wiped out anything that was selected. Either I don't understand what you are telling me to do or it does not work.

I am wondering if this is caused by SP3 being applied in Office. The reason I say this is, because my wife's computer has Office 2003 also without SP3 and her's works as it should.

Another odd thing that occurs (something I just noticed) is that I can type a new list at the top of the document (above all other text) and then apply the bullets for the list and the bullets are applied correctly.

LOL this is really weird I know, but now it has become a challenge to figure out why it occurs and correct it.

I am still looking for help on this. Thank you