Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wipe the hard drive

• Please log in to reply

cleanprophet

cleanprophet

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I think i may need to wipe my hard drive as there seems to be a virus of some sort on my computer. Trouble is, i've never done it before. Can anyone suggest a good piece of software for erasing the hard drive and do they have any advice?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
We can certainly do that but you may have a recovery partition with the files needed for reinstallation on it, which you would not want to wipe. Probably the first thing to do would be go to the maker's site and look for the instructions for making a clean reinstallation of the operating system. It may involve using some CDs you already have, or just using the installation files on the hard drive, or it may also involve making a set of CDs using the installation files.

cleanprophet

cleanprophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Right, i'll have a look at then and see how it goes.

I ran Trojan Remover and pinpointed the source of the problem:

It is in system32 and it evolves around the following;

hkey_local_machine/current version

hkcu\software...

german.exe

drvsyskit.exe

Some of these system32 files are stealthed and it seems that the registry is modified by this hkey file every time i boot the computer.

Trojan Remover found that one file in particular in system32 was locked and would not allow access. I also found a folder DRVSTORE in system32 that is in blue ariel rather than the usual black.

Does any of this sound familiar or is it something you have come across before?

cleanprophet

cleanprophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

We can certainly do that but you may have a recovery partition with the files needed for reinstallation on it, which you would not want to wipe. Probably the first thing to do would be go to the maker's site and look for the instructions for making a clean reinstallation of the operating system. It may involve using some CDs you already have, or just using the installation files on the hard drive, or it may also involve making a set of CDs using the installation files.

I should also point out that i have a recovery disc. Would this negate the need for the above advice about installation files?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I should also point out that i have a recovery disc. Would this negate the need for the above advice about installation files?

Not necessarily. It may not contain all the files you need. How recovery is done varies greatly with machine and manufacturer, and we don't even know what brand you have, let along what model.

cleanprophet

cleanprophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Oh right. I see. I'm unsure whether i need to wipe the hard drive just yet, but the machine and model i have is:

Patriot PT3420

Trojan remover seems to have sorted the IE problem and now have full access to the internet. But, i can't get any anti-virus protection on there. For some reason, it won't allow me to install it. When i try to insall ZoneAlarm i am told:

'set-up in unable to log into the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program'

I can't even get Norton to install, but it is the 2007 version and i have the 2008 version on its way to me in the post.

Trouble is, i don't know where this 'service manager' is or if that is the source of the problem?

Edited by cleanprophet, 07 March 2008 - 10:56 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).