Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to choose Videocard Specifications?

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I read from other forums that in choosing a videocard you/I should choose the bigger RAM of the adapter, memory clock speed, core clock speed, pixel pipelines and the most important is the memory interface.

Except the memory of the videocard. What other specifications should I search?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do be honest, video cards have become so complicated, that what they have on paper can rarely tell you wants good and whats not, I suggest you look at the chart here and base your opinion off that.
Just a note, with the introduction of DX10 came the death of the pixel pipeline.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 March 2008 - 10:00 AM.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok this is my point sir james_8970:

Just want to ask the following below:
1. What are these memory clock speed, core clock speed and pixel pipelines?
2. Where can I find them? Can you give an example of this so that I'll know where I can find them in the video card specifications.
3. Is the 128bit in the video card a "memory clock speed" or "core clock speed"?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The memory clock speed is just the frequency that the RAM chips operate at, it's very similar to the frequency of your CPU. The high the value the better, however please note that RAM speed has very little effect on the performance of the card.

Core clock, this is the speed of the physical core of the GPU. This is the heart of the card. The higher the better and the higher core speed will make a difference here. Though it must be noted, you cannot compare the clock speed of another generation to a newer generation (e.g. Don't compare the clock speed of the 7xx0 series from nVidia to the 8x00 series from nVidia) or a different brand (e.g. an nVidia core to an ATI core).

Pixel pipelines are irrlevent now with the introduction of DX10, don't even worry about these.

Google is you friend. Another way is to go to the manufactures (e.g. BFG, gainward, XFX, EVGA, Palit, Visiontek, ATI, HIS, Saphire and many more) website and enter the product number.'

3. This is again something that I wouldn't worry about. This is more of something engineers should worry about and I doubt they'd ever make this too small to affect a cards performance. Therefore I'm not going to go into detail, but it's neither a memory clock speed nor a core clock speed.

Because the generations of video cards vary so much, you cannot compare the specifications of one card to another on paper. You need to see some actual comparison charts from people like Tomshardware to get a real understanding of what to anticipate with your card.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 March 2008 - 11:36 AM.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
About the "Core clock speed" sir. This "Core Clock Speed" can only be included if the display adapter have an onboard processor. Am I correct sir?

Edited by SHENGTON, 08 March 2008 - 11:45 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, glade I could help :)
James