Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Setup

• Please log in to reply

Imperious

Imperious

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a friend that I do alot of computer/web work for and he has thrown something at me I've never really dealt with before and just wondering if anyone here can answer a few questions I have.

What would be needed to hook up 6 screens/6 keyboards/6 Mice, on one system not seperate computers. Each screen displaying internet explorer or some type of internet browser seperately and restrict access to to only a certain site or a few site. Say, the system can only goto, www.edoeinosd.com, www.zsoeife.com, and www.ounsodfnu.com any other outside pages will come up with 404 or restricted.

If possible USB Ports Accessable on the keyboard to hook up and have access to a flash drive or some type of external drive, but ONLY the external drive.

I basically just want to know if this is possible and if so what would I need to set up a system like this. Or would I be better off going with 6 seperate computers and running a network that way?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You may want to repost this over in the hardware or XP forum for a better answer, but I dont know how you could have 6 mice on one computer.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can easily have six mice on one computer.
Most computers have four USB ports on the back and two on the front.
Therefore, buy six USB mice.

However realistically, what the original poster wants is some sort of gateway or proxy server that works by blocking all outgoing web server requests and only lets through ones for certain destinations - effectively a customised firewall. This probably won't be cheap.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hmmmm... maybe an intricate setup of virtual machines? Basically, what your friend wants to do is have six computers. Obviously he doesn't have six computers, so he's trying to emulate a six-computer setup with one.

would I be better off going with 6 seperate computers and running a network that way?

Yes.