Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build (boot problem)

• Please log in to reply

dean38

dean38

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got done putting together my first build. Trying to boot and enter BIOS setup......monitor, keyboard and mouse are not coming up. Power turns on, all fans run except the case fan which turns on for a quick moment when I kill the power. I don't know what the problem is.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

XFX nForce 680i LT Motherboard

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

GeForce 8600 GT Video Card

4 gigs of ram

Thanks Dino

Advertisements

reforrest

reforrest

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm no expert so don't take what I say as 100% expert, but I've built 4 PC's no problems.

It's possible that...

Bad Mobo
Bad Ram
Bad Video Card
Bad HD

Maybe

PSU, I don't think so though.

It sounds like a bad video card, possibly ram. My first guess is the mobo though, try switching out the parts if you have some older spares. If you find out that it's any one of them, NP just RMA. If you bought it from a shop, take it back and have them replace it.

Are you getting any indicators when turning on the power? Beeps, LED codes etc?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
dean38 can you post your full system specs, including what type of memory you have and what PSU you have.
Your mouse should not work within the BIOS, your keyboard should be the only thing that works. Navigate around the BIOS using the arrow keys and enter key. It may be possible that you'll need to increase your North Bridge voltage if you are using 4 sticks of RAM. Trying using different USB ports.
Have you tried installing windows? When you do, only install windows with 2GB of RAM, not 4GB.
James