Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need new MSIE & XP Pro SP2

• Please log in to reply

2Bits ShortOfABucket

2Bits ShortOfABucket

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) My Dell Dimension Desktop is getting old, slow, cluttered and degraded (as am I, having first worked on Univacs as a repair tech, but then spiraling down from superuser back to newbie equivalent over the years--as Alice said, the hurrieder I go the behinder I get). I try to maintain a modicum of cluefulness by compulsively upgrading everything, trying to find readers/players for every file format and codecs for every video, occasionally reading ZDNet articles & white papers, etc. The problem--last year I upgraded Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) from 6 to 7, after which I could not connect via MSIE. I looked at the MS site, and found an appropriate article, but it instructed me to use command.com to check the versions of dozens of dll's and other files, so I deleted MSIE, using add/remove programs, add/remove Windows components, explorer and the delete key, and even regedit. I then installed Mozilla Firefox and lived happily ever after until about a week ago, when I got a stop error, and had to recover XP Pro using my Dell CD and Setup. I haven't lost any documents or applications, so far as I can tell, but the OS has reverted to SP1a, and gives me a warning on the status line that I need to get Service Pack 2. Unfortunately, MS will only deliver SP2 electronically when accessed with MSIE, but when I tried to reinstall MSIE6, I got an error message stating that the operation was aborting because a later version of MSIE was discovered. So how do I scrub MSIE out completely so I can reinstall it (or get SP2 without sending away for the CD version)? :) TIA

PS: I will be happy to upload a HijackThis log or any other diagnostic tool you might need--I have a lightning-fast Verizon FIOS connection on a wireless home LAN (which cuts down on malware).

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

If IE on your PC hasn't been updated to a later version (that is to say, it's the version that's installed by default from your XP CD or Recovery CD, you cannot remove it as it's an integral and essential component of the operating system. Windows won't let you uninstall it unless you've updated it and it can "roll back" to the previous version if you choose to uninstall the update version.

Installing SP2 is not compulsory but it is highly recommended you do so because of the numerous 'fixes' and security updates it adds since SP1a was released.

I can't understand why you say "MS will only deliver SP2 electronically when accessed with MSIE".
You can order the SP2 CD here: http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx
The drop-down Country selector includes the United States, and you can access that page with any web-browser, not just IE.

Edited by pip22, 08 March 2008 - 02:59 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can download the SP2 re-distributable here using any browser: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en