Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Powering up

• Please log in to reply

akex

akex

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've just built a new system with a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L motherboard (revision 2.0). I am at the point where everything is connected up and I have double checked to make sure everything is in the right place. The problem is, all I get when I turn on the power is a little twitch out of the CPU fan. Nothing else happens. Any thoughts?

Also, i'm using a vx550w corsair power supply. I tried taking the motherboard out of the case and powering it up there but the effect was little better.

Edited by akex, 08 March 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try a new power supply.

akex

akex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah, I thought it might be the power supply at first but couldn't it also be the motherboard? Is there a place I can go to get this stuff checked out? I don't really have access to any computers that i'd be able to test these parts out on.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do this at your own risk

If you have access to a voltage checker (multi meter), you can check the output from the power supply.
You can also short pins 14 and 15 on the connector that would be put on the board. NOTE: unplug power to the supply. Use a paper clip between 14 and 15. Plug the power cord into the outlet. If the supply turns on, generally it is good.

Read up on the power checks HERE and HERE.

Have you looked at the board real good to make sure there were no shorts? look for burn marks.

akex

akex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I tested the power supply by shorting out pins 14 and 15. The fan turned on and everything seemed fine. Then I tried plugging it in to the motherboard with no peripherals, just the power button on the case. When I turned it on something started shrieking really loud. I think it was coming from the power supply itself. The cpu fan also twitched a few times.

I checked for shorts and burn marks on the motherboard but couldn't find anything, it all seemed fine.

This is the first time the power supply has shrieked at me. Or, at least I think its the power supply, I don't really want to try it again to find out in case i damage something.

akex

akex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm, the motherboard has no physical signs of damage and the power supply seems to work fine when not hooked up to it. Maybe they just don't like each other?

Edited by akex, 09 March 2008 - 11:10 PM.