Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gets stuck on Bootup

• Please log in to reply

varuna

varuna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have WindowsXP SP2
My PC gets stuck on Bootup.At this time the restart button does not work. When the restart button is pressed the machine keeps working the screen goes black but booting does not begin. I have to use the power switch to switch on and on several times until finally the booting succeeds and when it does the machine goes on working fine. I was able to get a process view and it was
MsMpEng.exe 41
System Idle Process 38
Gtcc.exe 16
Wmiprvse.exe 03
WinSS.exe 02

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi varuna, welcome to G2G.

How long did you wait when it looks stuck? I know it's annoying but let it sit for 30 minutes or so one time and see what happens.

Sounds a bit like the hard drive may be having a problem. You can try downloading the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility from their web site. Create a bootable CD from the iso image then boot it and run the short and long tests, see if any problems are found.

varuna

varuna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello ZTrucker
As You pointed I downloaded the diagnostic software SeaTools For Windows from Maxtor web site and when I ran the tests the Long Drive Self Test failed.I would like to know your advice next

Varuna

Please Note:I am Attaching the log file I got using SeaTools For Windows

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
  • Buy a new hard drive.
  • Disconnect the current drive.
  • Install XP on the new drive.
  • Apply SP2 and all updates.
  • Connect old drive as slave.
  • Copy data from old drive to new drive.
  • Delete all partitions on old drive, create a new one, format and use it for "TEMPORARY" storage
An alternative is to try to use SeaTools to clone the existing drive to the new drive.

You install the new drive as slave then boot SeaTools or MaxBlast (don't remember which one has clone support) and copy everything from the old to the new. Remove the old, make the new master and boot. That should be it and you should end up exactly where you are now, will all data and programs intact only running on a good drive.

Still delete all partitions on old drive, create a new one, format and use it for "TEMPORARY" storage.