Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with YouTube and DeviantArt - please help!

• Please log in to reply

atanvardo

atanvardo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,
I have a problem viewing videos on YouTube. It's the same problem as in this thread ---> here

there's however an exception: I can watch a video that is located in user's profile.

I tried all the advices about reinstalling Flash Player, but still it doesn't work

Previously I didn't have any problems with watching youtube. I have JavaScript enabled as well as ActiveX. My firewall allows to load all JavaScript and ActiveX elements.

Except YouTube I also have trouble with DeviantArt (http://www.deviantart.com/)
some of graphic elements won't work properly such as zooming pictures, viewing galleries (even my own) or faving pictures. I tried writing to the DeviantArt staff but their advice was nothing of what I haven't checked before I wrote to them. (Such as 'check if your browser is up to date', 'or clear your cache')

I'm using Mozilla Firefox (version 2.0.0.12) and it's updated regularly.

I would really appreciate some smart advice as it pisses me off more and more :)

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Do you have an external firewall that may be preventing certain sites or sections of sites from loading? NoScript (A Firefox Plugin) is built for that. I would suggest checking your current Anti-Virus and Firewall applications.

atanvardo

atanvardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes I've checked it, and everything seems to be just fine. Also, I didn't have such problems before and i could view those two sites without any problems. It started some time ago and I have no idea of what reason.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Why don't we try using Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 4 to see if the result is the same - this way we can tell if it is in fact the browser or an external application. (It should not effect the other 2.0.0.12 version of Firefox that is currently installed. Simply click on the other desktop icon for Beta 4 instead of the common "Internet" or just "Mozilla Firefox" Icon.)

atanvardo

atanvardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
oh I'm sorry, I forgot to say that I also tried using Internet Explorer 7 and still it doesn't work like it should...

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Are you able to possibly save the elements in the page, such as the pictures and videos and view them offline?

Can you also save the website and view it?

atanvardo

atanvardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I can save pictures as .jpg or other such formats and view it. Same with videos, I can save it on my hard drive.
But I'm not sure if this is what you've meant by saying 'view offline'....

Also I tried saving a web page, and viewing it offline and turns out I can see only a part of it. Like, the layout or banner is not visible, but the table with info is.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This is due almost 100% because the code is referencing a /whateveriwant.jpg or some other file, yet you do not own that file. Is it possible for you to post the link of which you saved the website so I can alter the code and see if it works with your computer?

atanvardo

atanvardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
the link to the page I saved?

http://www.hackthema...om/projects.cfm

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
No could you please post the link to the site you saved with the videos.

Advertisements

RurouniBobakoon

RurouniBobakoon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been having the same exact problem with YouTube and DeviantArt for the past couple of weeks (more like months, in deviantart's case) for both IE7 and Firefox. I'm a little less computer savvy though, so I hope you two don't mind that I follow along.

atanvardo

atanvardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
:) actually I'm a bit lost too.
Will, could you explain to me what should I do once again? You told me to post a link to the site with videos, that I saved, but earlier you didn't say anything, that this site that I was supposed to save has to contain any videos... Maybe in some point of our conversation I misunderstood something. Forgive me for that, english is not my first language >.>

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
No problem RuroniBobakoon, but could you please follow the options in this thread. Atanvardo, when you stated

in a user's profile

did you mean in devianart or in Youtube? Could you please download the same video on Youtube and the same video off devianart - just name them differently so you would not override the file. Please tell me the extension of both of the files, such as .exe or .jpg. Please view them in the same media player.

atanvardo

atanvardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No, DeviantArt contains only pictures, there's no videos there. As for downloading from youtube, to be honest I have no idea how to do that :)
but I saved a page with someone's profile and a video that I can play, and I tried to view it offline, but I got this message:

Posted Image

I don't know if it means anything...

Edited by atanvardo, 20 March 2008 - 03:43 AM.

RurouniBobakoon

RurouniBobakoon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've tried the uninstall, reinstall flash player several times and still nothing is fixed, but thanks for link. ^_^

Not to steer this thread in another direction, but is it possible that our ISP is the problem? Just throwing that out there... >_<