Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to share internet connection w/ wireless USB modem?

• Please log in to reply

peterc38

peterc38

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a question regarding sharing an internet connection. Since I live in the boonies, up until now my 2 choices for internet service have been dial-up or satellite. Even though it is expensive I chose satellite. Broadband through a wire to my house is not gonna happen any time soon. The satellite is expensive, slow(even though it is a lot faster than dial-up), the customer service is non-existent and it is prone to outages. Now, Verizon has improved wireless coverage to the point where I can get a good wireless signal.

With the satellite connection, I have a Lynksys wireless router so that my wife can share that internet connection on her PC in her office (she works at home). I bought a wireless USB modem from Verizon and tried it out, it is a lot faster than the satellite connection. It seems like a no brainer to switch because it is faster, $60 per month which is the same price, is not likely to be prone to outages and I can likely sell my satellite equipment on craigslist or ebay. Verizon is letting me try for 30 days with no commitment. My question is, Can I use the same wireless router for my my wife to share this connection? If not, how can I use this a wireless USB modem to share ian internet connection?

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If the wireless USB modem has been connected to the router that will work with the new service it should.