Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please can you help me? would mean so much

• Please log in to reply

kaytee576

kaytee576

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, Well I just got the Lost PC game and It just came up with a error that my graphics card needs to be shader model v3.0 compatible to run the game
I don't believe it my pc isn't very old but I am not sure it is compatible?
I have a radeon X600 graphics card is this compatible? is there a download?
Is there a way to still play the game? the start played the video before the actual game then there was no picture except a funny mushroom type of thing that moved when I moved the mouse!
PLEASE answer I wanna play my game! xxx

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Lost? as in the Tv show Lost?

or Lost Planet?

~~~~~

anyways, have you tried upgrading your video card drivers?

http://ati.amd.com/s...radeonx-xp.html try this

i don't think x600s have Shader model 3 support.

you might have to upgrade your gfx card.

~~~~~

system requirements of LOST: Via Domus
http://www.gamespot..../...&pid=933473

use this site..

the game you are looking for is called
Lost: Via Domus
http://www.systemreq...referrer/srtest

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 09 March 2008 - 06:06 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The Radeon X600 only has support for Shader Model 2.0. You will need to get a new graphics card supporting Shader Model 3.0 if you want to play this game.

We could probably pick out some recommendations for you if you could tell us some more info about your PC. Do you know what kind of graphics expansion slot your PC has (PCI, AGP, or PCI-Express)? If not, could you give us as much information about the motherboard and the computer as possible?

kaytee576

kaytee576

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi It has PCi express the white slot, and it also has a AGP slot the brown slot, It has 2GB RAM. 6oow PSU, Duel Core 2.4 GHZ intel Pentium.
It is a dell Dimension 5150 with a Radeon X600 Hypermemory graphics card.
Is that any help? I don't have a clue what I am saying! my fiance is studying all this at the moment so he told me as much as he could, unfortunatly neither of us are up on shader and graphic cards as yet :)
Oh and it is LOST as in the TV show! :) xxx

PS http://game.amd.com/...p=xp/radeonx-xp I don't understand that?? I did install it once and it seemed to put a lot of other things on my PC, Do I have to uninstall something before doing that? I didn't want to do it as I didnt understand it :)

Edited by kaytee576, 09 March 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
ok, you should be able to support most Vid cards.

could you give us a budget?

EDIT:
Posted Image
is it the slot at the top? or those really short white ones?

because the top one is PCIE x16 and the short ones are PCIE x1

and the medium white one is just PCI

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 09 March 2008 - 06:18 PM.

kaytee576

kaytee576

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Gosh that's a hard one! My budget is 0.00 right now!!!! But I do want to upgrade it really as not only for this game but I can see me having this problem with other games in the future :) So I would like the best one possible really havent got a clue what price they start at but i trust your judgement!
I play the sims 2 too and will do in the future so as long as it handles games like that I will be :) xxx

PS as for what you said about the white slot I am not sure :) I could maybe open it up tomorrow!?!
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e...A:IT&ih=011
Oh and what is that i found? my fiance says can't be the right thing as it is way to cheap...see I know NOTHING!!!

Edited by kaytee576, 09 March 2008 - 06:23 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hi again. I never recommend buying parts off of Ebay. You'll be much better off buying from a reputable E-tailer or local shop. That said, if this and The Sims 2 are the only games you'll be playing, I'd recommend the 8600GT from Ebuyer.com. If you plan on playing more graphically intensive games, such as first-person shooter games, you will probably want a much better card, but it will cost at least twice as much unfortunately.

Edited by stettybet0, 09 March 2008 - 06:45 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
To be put as bluntly as it can I think, right now you can not run the game. Opening your case would help a lot as we could tell if you have a PCI, AGP, or PCI-e Express video card slot. That will determine what kind of card you should buy if you do want to upgrade. The rest of your computer is up to snuff and it seems like only the video card needs a slight upgrade. (I think my video card has SM3.0 but I'm not 100% sure and will get back to you when I figure out, as the card I have will be fairly cheap these days I'm thinking.)

As to the Catalyst thing you linked earlier, that is the graphics driver for the video card. I know that it (when downloaded in full) will put lots of icons and such on your desktop, however there is a way to install the latest driver without the extra things you don't really need (advanced user settings and such).

Don't rush into buying a card though. At the rate that new ones come out, buying a slightly better one might just leave you behind in a year again. Once/if you get a new video card, I or anyone here would be able to refer you to the proper video card driver. :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
We need to know exactly what ports you have in your computer before we can recommend any cards. We don't want you to buy a card and then find your computer is not able to support it.

I'm guessing you have a PCIE card because i used to own the X300 and it was PCIE so a higher card "should" be PCIE too.

Opening up your case and looking at the card slot will still give us the best answer. If you can't tell, just take a few pictures of the inside of your comp focusing on the card and we should be able to tell.

Or if you don't want to open up your PC, tell us the maker of your comp and it's model number. (like Dell Dimension 9100 etc)

If Sims 2 and Lost are the only games you are gonna play and you don't plan on going into hardcore gaming, a weaker card should do fine.

I don't recommend EBay, but there is nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you know what you are buying before you buy it. Ask the seller alot of questions. Tell them to provide pictures or something.
I used to buy from Ebay all the time.