Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Leftovers from Win32 Adware & Spyware Gen?

• Please log in to reply

a.saccharum

a.saccharum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok sweethearts, I can't say I'm a damsel in distress but I WILL be if I can't get my computer running well enough to play non-vanilla Oblivion!

Performance doesn't lie and right now it says something's hiding. I had what Avast called Win32 Adware & Spyware gen back in November. I managed to clean it pretty well (I thought), but my puter isn't performing when I put stress on it (i.e. Oblivon with a few mods and texture packs). I have my specs in my user profile. It's not a top end user but it certainly isn't out of box either!

I found a couple of files while poking around that I can't find any (reliable) information about:

SmSvchostPerfCounters in the .NET\v3 folder
antivirus.evt (what the heck is an .evt?) in \config

I don't know how to tell what is using an svchost, but there was one on there that I wasn't used to seeing, it was taking between 30 & 35k of memory. I ended the process tree and it hasn't booted again.

I run Avast and AdAware. They haven't found anything.

I guess what got me worried most was the fact that RegistryFix referred to antivirus.evt, which prompted me to search for it. I always look at my errors to see what I'm cleaning and there it was! So does that mean that whatever's using it is moving or what?

Do you want me to post my logs or do y'all have a favorite (free) scanner you want me to use? Thanks people!

Advertisements